Deco X60: Very frequent connection drop off

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco X60: Very frequent connection drop off

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
15 Reply
Re:Deco X60: Very frequent connection drop off
2023-07-19 08:35:37

@Johan1984 

Try changing the DNS into 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 - my network has been stable for 24 hours on this DNS. Hope it stays that way ofcourse.

Succes ermee smiley

Options
2023-07-19 09:36:05

@ErnieBernie 

How is the full factory reset going ?

Do you experience the same issue after running factory reset ?

In my situation I found DNS config. largely depends on the ISP .

I'm now with Exetel in Australia here, I found the Google's 8.8.8.8 wasn't performing any better than the ISP's default DNS servers so I stayed with the default / automatic.

However when earlier I was with Optus the Google's DNS seemed better than what Optus offers.

Speaking of providing logs to TP Link support - I can't speak for you and it's up to you how to define "safe" :)

I shared my full raw logs exported from the Deco GUI tho - I did open it with a text editor and made sure there was no sensitive information included (such as login user name, password, my address , etc.) . Personally I'm fine with sharing IP addresses and Mac addresses with the TP Link support.

If factory reset couldn't fix the issue for you and the logs don't help - you may want to ask your support engineer how to downgrade your X60 firmware version wink

@Johan1984 

You're not alone ... cheeky

Check the discussion earlier in this thread and see if a full factory reset helps.

Options
2023-07-19 10:20:11

@Johan1984 

Both @ErnieBernie  and   @lyle-w suggestions are worth a shot and I hope you could also help me check which case here is quite like yours:

Fix unstable connection when connected to the Deco network

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
2023-07-19 12:32:22

@lyle-w @Johan1984 

Hi Lyle,

The reset went wel, thanks. First I followed the advise to stay offline with the DECO for many hours. Then I reset the main Deco and configured it with the DNS from Cloudflare ( thanks to @dlfranks ) instead off my ISP's DNS (Bredband2 in Sweden). I am not so fond of Google and try to avoid them as much as possible but that's another story :-) After a few hours I added the kitchen satelite and few hours after that the upstairs satelite. That all goes automatically and is quite simple. I noticed that my LG tv needed some help with finding the right DNS and my iMAc and Apple TV device as well. In the meantime I monitored the whole network with a Ping program and never lost a package so that's promising.

I have had contact witt the TP Link Support (fast and professional service I must say - I didn't get paid for saying this by the way smiley ) and they forwarded a special Firmware that helps retrieving the correct logs they need. I should upload that and retrieve the logs needed and forward to them as soon the Deco starts to loose connection again. Before sending them I will make sure no sensitive information is included. But sofar so good and it's still working. However the network has not been in full use yet. 

Since I have the V2 version the latest Firmware is from 2021. My Deco has not been updated for a while so htah could not be the issue. I was to fast to asume that I had the V3 as well with the latest Firmware update. So no need to downgrade for me. 

Now wait and see what happens the coming days.

Options
2023-07-19 12:59:18

@ErnieBernie 

I have to say that our support tickets were handled completely differently - I wasn't given any "special version" of firmware to collect logs, and after I provided the debug level logs exported form GUI, the engineer just replied that those logs are not helpful and asked me to chase ISP - I argued that how could other devices could keep online with no issue while only one specific client device was having the dropoff at the time if that was ISP problem - (s)he turned to say that the logs I shared looks all good but they could/might offer a replace of modem - if I keep getting this on one particular unit , or they may help to downgrade my firmware via a remote session.

Anyway, a full factory reset did seem to do the magic for me - and looks like does the same for you too - so I guess this likely to be some kind of config/data cache / software issue that triggerred by a firmware upgrade or config changes at some point - the firmware itself should be good on a new/fresh installation.

Options
Related Articles