Need to know the VLAN ID deco x60

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-07 13:13:25 - last edited 2023-11-12 22:09:40
Model: Deco X68   Deco X60  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.1 Build 20230611 Rel. 76298

The latest firmware has just been installed and there is now 3 wireless networks available: Main, Guest, and now a IoT.

This is great but I am going to repeat what has previously been said for other Deco models, and how other threads ask how to do it, only to find that it's not possible. 

Essentially, to be able to tag a vLan ID to the Guest SSID, or the new IoT SSID the vLan ID needs to be set and made available. 

Prior thread:

I understand Decos are meant to be somewhat simple and seamless, but the consumers that expect simple and seamless aren't the people switching their mesh into AP mode and hooking it up to their own router and managed switch.  If I can't vLan tag the Guest SSID, I can't assign IPs to the Guest SSID devices from a separate subnet/DHCP server.  If I can't do that, I can't control how those devices communicate with the internal network in my house.  I want my IoT devices for example to talk to my Home Assistant controller and call out to the internet when needed.  I don't need them talking to any of our personal computers or god forbid, finding access to the router's access page.

I don't think we're asking for a lot here.  I've seen plenty of non-mesh wireless router/AP's that can setup any number of virtual SSIDs with specific vLan IDs.  That'd be fantastic of course, but we're just asking for the ability to set the vLan ID for the Guest SSID that's already built in.  Or heck, just hard code a vLan ID when the user selects the "Isolated from Main Network" option and tell us what the vLan ID is.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Need to know the VLAN ID deco x60-Solution
2023-07-19 00:19:57 - last edited 2023-11-12 22:09:40

This request has been asked in some form or another for years.  I think the best we can do at this point is vote for it here:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/219632

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Need to know the VLAN ID
2023-07-07 14:00:19

Can anyone confirm that when in AP mode that the vLan ID for the Guest network is 591?

Thanks!

Options
Re:Need to know the VLAN ID
2023-07-09 13:20:26 - last edited 2023-07-09 13:24:03

Now established from searching that in AP mode the Deco do not assign vLan ID tags. The Main, Guest and IoT are all untagged and end up on the same Lan. There is an isolation option for Guest that Deco manages. 
In hindsight when I purchased the 4 Deco X68 to set up the new mesh network it would have been better to opt for Omada based units. Unfortunately TP-Link failed to mention what the Decos can't do or promote the Omada as an option for those with many devices. The Deco are marketed at homes with up to 150 devices but they do not allow you to set up multiple vLan for better control and speed.
Using the Deco as a router is not an option as there are multiple Wan that require load balancing for the network.
The 4 X68 were a significant investment and now make it difficult to move away from. If only TP-Link was able to update the firmware to include the tagging vLan ID for each SSID as it alllows in the Omada units it also sells. Currently the products are very disappointing and just highlight how careful you need to be on selecting hardware. 

Options
Re:Need to know the VLAN ID deco x60
2023-07-11 01:29:05

@Chadderz you mean deco x68? Not x60? Because x60 never get's any updates!

Options
Re:Need to know the VLAN ID deco x60-Solution
2023-07-19 00:19:57 - last edited 2023-11-12 22:09:40

This request has been asked in some form or another for years.  I think the best we can do at this point is vote for it here:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/219632

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 4

Views: 871

Replies: 4

Related Articles