TL-SG108E VLAN Tagging for Multi SSID/VLANs in TL-WA1201 Access Point

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TL-SG108E VLAN Tagging for Multi SSID/VLANs in TL-WA1201 Access Point

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
13 Reply
Re:TL-SG108E VLAN Tagging for Multi SSID/VLANs in TL-WA1201 Access Point
2023-07-24 02:06:24 - last edited 2023-11-10 03:43:26

Hi @mwei 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

I don't mean to argue with you. If you want to show me that the switch is not passing VLAN, can you wireshark it and capture frames for me? I can help you analyze it(screenshots of key info). Like I said, it does not seem to be a config issue on the switch. And other VLANs work which means the VLAN function is literally working. If VLAN is not working, then it is very likely to be a problem with the config. We rule out the config on the switch. AP supports tagged frame VLAN and multi-SSID. Then that's the DHCP server.

Methodology:

In your test environment, configure VLAN 10 20 30 40 50, whatsoever, set it untagged and connect your PC to the port and individually test 10 20 30 40 50 working.

If they work, then you come back and set 10 20 30 40 50 as tagged on your virtual machine/server. Connect the switch and set the port on the switch as tagged 10 20 30 40 50.

Set up port mirroring, and check VLAN based on this guide: Wireshark - VLAN capture setup

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2023-07-24 02:43:06 - last edited 2023-11-10 03:43:26

Clive_A wrote

Hi @mwei 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

I don't mean to argue with you. If you want to show me that the switch is not passing VLAN, can you wireshark it and capture frames for me? I can help you analyze it(screenshots of key info). Like I said, it does not seem to be a config issue on the switch. And other VLANs work which means the VLAN function is literally working. If VLAN is not working, then it is very likely to be a problem with the config. We rule out the config on the switch. AP supports tagged frame VLAN and multi-SSID. Then that's the DHCP server.

Methodology:

In your test environment, configure VLAN 10 20 30 40 50, whatsoever, set it untagged and connect your PC to the port and individually test 10 20 30 40 50 working.

If they work, then you come back and set 10 20 30 40 50 as tagged on your virtual machine/server. Connect the switch and set the port on the switch as tagged 10 20 30 40 50.

Set up port mirroring, and check VLAN based on this guide: Wireshark - VLAN capture setup

@Clive_A 

Hi, I believe that the switch is passing the VLAN as my untagged testing worked with no issues. I can try to do the wireshark tomorrow if still needed. I did attempt to do a tcpdump when attempting to connect to the WiFi SSID for the VLAN(s) in question and it doesn't even look like DHCP request makes it over to the DHCP server somehow (nothing gets logged for the attempted connection/DHCP request). 

As for the methodology, makes sense and the first part/test works. The VLANs are tagged in my system/server but I am not sure on how to make sure the port on the switch is tagged for all the VLANs as I can only set it to one PVID and I'm assuming that PVID 1 should be meaning tagged for all VLANs? (port 1: WiFi/SSID ; port 8 gateway/router ; port 7 DHCP server):

Options
2023-07-24 22:33:48 - last edited 2023-11-10 03:43:26

Hi!

Please access my wireshark output from my test system that is attempting to connect to the SSID that is tagged for VLAN3 by following this google drive link as I am unable to attach to this reply:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DRn66DUXRf6yeYl5l3I0PBBQWHWijPOW/view?usp=drive_link

I am unable to run wireshark on the DHCP server as it is running Ubuntu Server (no GUI) but I did have /var/log/syslog up and it did not pick up any traffic or DHCP request(s) from the test system for the SSID that is tagged for VLAN3. Once the test system kept being unable to connect it automatically connected to another SSID that is tagged for VLAN40 (the wireshark should have captured that as well). 

Hoping this will maybe help shed some light on what might be happening or what I might be missing...*fingers crossed*. 

Options
Related Articles