Connect all Decos to Ethernet back end?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-23 14:41:40
Model: Deco X50 - PoE  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: V1.1.0

I have 3 x Decos, bought a few weeks ago. Currently 1 is connected to my TP Link 48x Switch with the other two connected to it wirelessly.

We have a house with solid bricks walls so one of the sister units connects with a low signal.

I would like to connect all three to my TP Link switch, with them all using Ethernet.

When I do this though, they all drop off my App, even though the internet does seem to still work. No amount of resets or reboots seems to correct this, until I unplug 2 of them from my switch.

This seemed to be an issue in earlier builds, but my firmware is fully up to date....which my searching seems to imply would resolve this?

Can anyone help advise how best to go about diagnosing this please? I am semi-competant user of this, but by no means an expert!

Many thanks

Options
12 Reply
Re:Connect all Decos to Ethernet back end?
2023-07-23 15:11:25
Options
2023-07-24 02:23:17

@Alexandre. Thank you for your sharing.

Hi @Andeh1 
The problem may be related to your network diagram, if all three Deco units are connected to the switch by an ethernet cable, they should be configured in the AP mode rather than Router mode.
And if you have more questions about the Ethernet Backhaul feature, please refer to the following link.
General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on your Deco

If you have problems after changing the operation mode on the Deco app, please help confirm the following information for further analysis.
1. Please describe your problem in detail.
2. Please describe your network diagram in detail.
3. What troubleshooting you have done?

Best Regards

Options
2023-07-24 09:31:26

Thanks all, so I can see I have done it the same as the 'do not do this' image.

Just to confirm my options are:

1st Deco gets wired to directly to my router....with another port on my router being wired into my TP Link Switch.

The other two Decos can then be wired to the Switch?

-or-

1st Deco gets wired into my switch, then 2nd and 3rd Deco get wired into the 1st Deco directly? (via my patch panel)

Many thanks,

Options
2023-07-24 13:28:46

@Andeh1 

If you have ISP Router, consider running Deco mesh in Access Point mode. In that mode, you can wire Deco units without any restrictions.

Switching a Deco to Access Point (AP) Mode

Options
2023-07-30 14:59:53
Thanks for this. I have changed it to AP mode and plugged in all the Decos to the ethernet ...but only 2 of them connect to ethernet... the third just sticks to WIFI. How do I force it to use the Ethernet cable? thanks,
Options
2023-07-30 18:51:37

@Andeh1 

I will need more info from you in order to help you troubleshoot the problem:

1. A network diagram - need to know how your Deco now connect to each other, to the switch, to router, etc.;

2. Screenshots from two screens in Deco app, "Show List" and "Show Map," examples:

Options
2023-08-01 12:40:07 - last edited 2023-08-01 12:58:51

@Andeh1 

Thank you, please find ATTACHED FILE network diag here

And screen shot below... 

File:
Network Diag.JPGDownload
Options
2023-08-01 12:53:19 - last edited 2023-08-01 12:58:05

@Andeh1 

File:
Screenshot_20230801_135122_Deco.jpgDownload
Options
2023-08-01 13:02:22

@Andeh1 ... And just if it helps any further, photo of my network cabinet showing the 3 x decks plugged into 3 ports, and the BT/sky inbound network.

Options
2023-08-01 13:40:42

@Andeh1 

Your Deco app screenshots show that both Satellites use WiFi link. That usually mean issues with the switch, it might not support Deco Ethernet backhaul. This is TP-Link switch you said, should be compatible, but who knows. Is it managed switch?

Once I helped someone to troubleshoot similar issue and they happened to have patch panel wired incorrectly, so wiring may be a suspect, too.

The easiest way for you would be to trace where the issue is. Connect one of Satellites directly to Main Deco with short cable. If this will switch Satellite to Ethernet backhaul, then you know Deco can use Ethernet backhaul. Next step would be to connect that same Deco directly to one of available Ethernet ports of the switch, with that same short cable. It'll show if issue is with panel or with the switch.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1311

Replies: 12

Related Articles