Network instability in BE85 mesh network

2023-07-26 15:51:25 - last edited 2023-10-10 05:44:17
Model: Deco BE85  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: Deco BE85(EU)_V1_1.0.7 Build 20230509

I recently implemented a new mesh wifi-network using the new Deco BE85 units. The characteristics are as follows:

• The main Deco unit is directly connected to the Zyxel modem/router (viber 1 GB up/down);
  • I use a TL-Link switch for all the cat 5e ethernet lines throughout the house (POE is disabled for now);
  • The other 2 Deco units are located on the first floor and attic using the ethernet backhaul;
  • The network has been set to router mode first (love the features there), but now back to access point mode;
  • I'm not using the Wi-Fi 7 or 6E features.

I've seen some strange behaviour for which I need your support:

• Apple HomePods (2nd gen and mini) drop off the network from time to time, always requiring a full factory reset when it happens. They just don't reconnect anymore once they drop off. I've tried using a fixed IP (Deco in router mode), disabling the mesh for these devices and even specifying a preferred Deco unit to connect to;
    They advised the network setup as I have implemented and described above;
  • Downloading apps or iPhones updates does not work anymore, though regular browsing, watching videos etc. is working as expected. When I try to install or update an app for the IOS app store, it doesn't always succeed. It gets stuck when downloading. Same goes for downloading IOS updates. I have not been able to download an update (2-6 GB) after implementing the new network;
  • Downloads from the internet fail from a Windows PC even if these are only 200-300 MB.

I'm looking for any help to stop me from returning the equipment. Thanks!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Network instability in BE85 mesh network-Solution
2023-10-10 05:44:13 - last edited 2023-10-10 05:44:17

Update:

Hi All,

The official firmware updates will soon fix this issue. For now, we recommend installing the following beta firmware, which has already resolved the problem;

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/629446

Thank you very much and best regards.

Recommended Solution
Options
31 Reply
Re:Network instability in BE85 mesh network
2023-07-27 02:13:31

@awdhaan 

Hi, welcome to the community.

The engineers have paid high attention to the feedback on Wi-Fi 7 products and I would like to forward your case to them directly via email.

By the way, when you set Deco BE85 in wireless router mode, were you having similar issues?

May I know your internet service provider and the exact model of Zyxel modem/router?

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
2023-07-27 05:54:23

@David-TP , thank you for picking this up. The modem is a Zyxel T-50 (T-Mobile). The issues are similar in both router and access point mode..

Options
2023-08-17 05:56:02 - last edited 2023-08-17 06:02:17

@awdhaan and @David-TP 

I'm having the exact same issues on my recently installed BE85 w/ 3 nodes.

General browsing, streaming, calls, etc., work fine, but any "large" downloads fail at random points. It can sometimes fail starting the download, other times halfway through, or somewhere in between.

My setup is somewhat similar to yours, the Deco is set to Wireless Access Point (it does NOT handle routing), and the main Deco is connected to a separate router (non-WiFi) for my internal network. I am, however,  not using ethernet backhaul, I'm using wi-fi backhaul.

Here's what I've tried so far:

- Tested multiple devices, including Macbooks, iPhones, and Windows PCs, with the same result. As you pointed out, iOS updates are a no-go as they fail to download, same with downloading a relatively large (1+ GB file).

- Tested regular and dedicated WiFi backhaul, same thing.

- Disabled bean forming. Same result.

- All devices, regardless of the WiFi band experience the same problem. Whether it's WiFi 5, 5, or 6E enabled devices, the same issue happens.

- Rebooted and factory-reset my Deco a couple of times. Upgraded to the latest firmware available on the TP-Link site.

- If I connect a device to the ethernet port of any of the Decos (even the non-main ones), things work as expected. This means that deco-to-deco wireless communication/backhaul works just fine, and it only affects wireless clients.

- Tried disabling the 6Ghz network, using MLO, etc. Same issue with any of those combinations.

- One thing I did notice is if the download is slow (i.e. transfer rate of around < 50Mbps), it does not appear to fail. But when it gets to around 100+Mbps, that's where I generally see the download failing. This is not entirely conclusive, but something I've noticed. 

While I expect issues to be worked out on new devices, it's pretty ridiculous I cannot download files. I got the Deco BE85 to replace my 6-year old Orbi mesh, and I'm regretting that decision, never had these issues with Netgear.

Options
2023-08-17 06:17:59

@FabianC I've returned all the devices and got a full refund after extensive troubleshooting. TP-Link provided great support, but we were not able to resolve the issue.
I now implemented the network using another brand. No more download failures. I'm happy now.

Options
2023-08-17 06:41:56

@awdhaan thank you for the response

That's a shame, I'm really hoping it doesn't have to get to that. Just curious, which mesh did you go with?

My runner up is the Orbi 960 if TP Link cannot resolve it. 

Options
2023-08-17 06:47:57

@FabianC I implemented a new network using Ubiquity Unfi: A Dream Router, a couple of PoE switches and 3 additional PoE AP's. Works extremely stable and great telemetry. The only thing I still need to figure out is some form of parental control, but there seems to be options for that.

Options
2023-08-17 08:58:48

@awdhaan   

@FabianC 

Hi, Thank you very much for the feedback.

It would be great if you could cooperate with the engineers for further troubleshooting before replacing Deco BE85 since now they might have some new debug methods.

Wi-Fi 7 products are still young and still have huge space for improvement. We always value every feedback on Wi-Fi 7 products and would respond at the earliest time. We also appreciated it a lot if we had the chance to further troubleshoot the reported issues.

Thank you again for your cooperation and support.

Best regards.

Options
2023-08-21 01:32:29

Just to keep this thread updated for those having the same issue.

- TP-Link has provided a beta firmware to test, but it did not resolve the issue.

- I have also tried disabling beam forming, same issue.

I have 5 days left until my return period expires, really hope I get some sort of resolutions soon @David-TP 

Options
2023-08-21 07:20:08

@FabianC 

Hi, Thanks for letting me know. I would also keep the engineers informed. Missing the return period without the issue being fixed is the last thing I want to see here.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
2023-08-23 03:52:38

Just a quick update...while the issue is not yet permanently fixed, the engineers working on the issue have provided a temporary workaround which addresses the problem.

They have collected information from my setup (through a remote session) and are working on the actual fix.

@David-TP a huge thank you to you for getting this moving and to  Aaron on the engineering team, they have have been working on this diligently and the communication with them has been great. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 5

Views: 3223

Replies: 31

Related Articles