Cost effective Deco router in Mesh connected to Modem and in a cupboard

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-05 05:03:15
Model: Deco XE75 Pro  
Hardware Version: V8
Firmware Version: Latest

Hi

I am doing a whole house Wifi upgrade and moving to the XE75 Pro. I bought three units which should cover the whole house, but if i have to use one as the main router it seems a waste.

I want to use back haul where ever i can so i need to install a router next to the modem and patch panels, all of which are in a Cupboard.

ISP Modem>2.5 Gb Deco Router>2.5Gb Switch> Deco in Wired back haul AP mode + Some in Mesh Wifi back haul

Hence having a Wifi XE75 sitting in a cupboard seems pointless. Anyone advice me what is the cheapest Deco i can put next to the modem that has 2 x 2.5Gb ports. One to go to the ISP and the other to go to the 2.5 Gb Switch

Any other thoughts on how to set this up. I currently have 5 rooms wired with Ethernet back to the patch panel. i have one that is not wired.If i have the Xe75 in mixed mode, ie some in AP and some in mesh mode will the whole system work?

Does TP link make a Deco router only? Mesh compatible withut the Wifi broadcast capability?

Thanks

Juz

Options
11 Reply
Re:Cost effective Deco router in Mesh connected to Modem and in a cupboard
2023-08-05 13:33:07

@Juzcat 

Do you have ISP modem or ISP modem/router? If it is just modem, what did you use for router before Deco mesh?

Options
2023-08-05 14:18:46

@Alexandre. I have an ISP provided Huawei modem. Echolife HG 8240H5, which connects to a TP-Link Archer AX72 as the router.

Thanks

Options
2023-08-05 15:21:20

Juzcat wrote

@Alexandre. I have an ISP provided Huawei modem. Echolife HG 8240H5, which connects to a TP-Link Archer AX72 as the router.

@Juzcat 

Good router, but it only has gigabit Ethernet ports.

You can't find cheap Deco with 2 x 2.5Gb ports. There are two options I can think of:

1. Find standalone router with 2 x 2.5Gb ports and use it as a router, with Deco mesh running in Access Point mode. That standalone router does not need to be with WiFi, a wired no WiFi router can do, you'll be getting WiFi from Deco mesh.

2. Get an extra XE75 Pro.

-----------

You'll have to research prices yourself, but it all comes to cost. Whatever is cheaper: standalone router with 2 x 2.5Gb ports or another XE75Pro.

Options
2023-08-05 17:04:12

@Alexandre. Thanks for the ideas. Will look for the no wifi router option.

Cheers

Options
2023-08-05 19:20:01 - last edited 2023-08-05 19:20:20

Juzcat wrote

@Alexandre. I have an ISP provided Huawei modem. Echolife HG 8240H5

@Juzcat 

I googled hardware specs of Echolife HG8240 H5 and have found that this is device with 4 Ethernet ports and 2 phone ports. It has gigabit Ethernet ports.

If this is what you have, it should be modem/router (multiple Ethernet ports) with max speed of gigabit on its Ethernet port, to which you can connect XE75 Pro.

Options
2023-08-14 13:33:20

@Alexandre. 

I got my new XE75 pro and plugged one direct into the Huwei modem. Direct mirror of the previous set up and unpluging the existing modem. Deco app says that it cannot connect to the internet and has a continuous red light. Have set to Dynamic IP as per the existin AX72 router.

Any ideas? Plug and play this is not sadly

thanks in advance

Cheers

Options
2023-08-14 14:32:09

Juzcat wrote

@Juzcat 

Restore this configuration. Connect Main Deco to Archer AX72. See if you can successfully configure Deco mesh in that configuration. That will define the next step.

Options
2023-08-19 07:27:33

@Alexandre. Done. It works with original router before the Deco. Wondering what are shortcomings of Deco 75 router functionality that means it wont work directly with the modem.

Thanks

Options
2023-08-19 13:37:31 - last edited 2023-08-19 13:38:49

@Juzcat 

Running Deco mesh in Access Point mode is usually first step in troubleshooting. If you have Deco running in AP mode without issues, it means everything is correct with Deco mesh, with Ethernet cable connecting Main Deco to modem/router, Main Deco can successfully run its Internet connectivity health check, and so on.

If you are OK with that setup, just leave it. If you still want to remove TP-Link router from your network, let me know and I'll give you next steps to try. Good news is if you try something and it does not work, you have working Deco mesh configuration in AP mode you can always fallback to.

Options
2023-08-21 08:52:57

@Alexandre. Yes. Would love to remove the existing router and re deploy. Cld you share next steps to try please

thanks

Options