Deco turns red after when creating wifi network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-06 14:51:10
Model: Deco X68  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

It's been months now that my deco could not connect and finish setup. It was working fine until one day the LED turned red. I tried everything, rebooting, resetting, I called the tplink customer care and they said it must be my ISP. I called my ISP and the technicians came and nothing is wrong with my internet or wifi, and my modem is working fine. when attached to another router (provided by the ISP) the wifi was just fine. but when I tried to reconfigure the setting, I followed the steps in the apps and when I reached the part where it says 'creating your wifi network', the LED suddenly turned red. and then I couldn't connect to my deco's wifi. please help. I'm thinking of returning the items because it's still under warranty. by the way I've tried switching both deco, it's still the same.  

Options
6 Reply
Re:Deco turns red after when creating wifi network
2023-08-07 03:03:28

@Squirtle 

Hi, What is the internet connection type on Deco X68, Dynamic IP, or something else?

Have you tried to clone the MAC address of the old router to Deco to see whether it helped?

How to Configure MAC Clone on Deco if Deco fails to connect to the internet

It is also suggested to refer to the troubleshooting steps here:

Unable to connect to the Internet

Thank you very much.

Wait for your reply.

Options
2023-08-07 17:31:38

@David-TP Thanks for your response. I used PPPOE for my connection type since my ISP provided me with a username and password.

I double-confirmed the details with my ISP as well. I have not tried cloning the MAC address of the old router or doing the second troubleshooting you suggested.

I will try both and see if it does help. Will keep you updated. Thanks a lot!

Options
2023-08-07 22:13:00 - last edited 2023-08-07 22:13:26

@Squirtle I'm not a tech support, but I encountered the same issue when setting up my Deco mesh. I attempted to replace my ISP's modem/router combo, but my configuration didn't align with theirs so my Deco was unable to connect to the internet. Depends on your ISP's network configuration, in my case, I have CenturyLink, and in addition to logging in with my PPPoE account, I also needed to configure the VLAN tag to 201 to match my ISP's settings. Try searching on Google for instructions on how to replace the modem/router from "your ISP's name," as each ISP might have distinct configurations. Best of luck!

Options
2023-08-11 11:58:45 - last edited 2023-08-11 12:07:16

@Espress0-0 Thank you for the input. I've looked at some of the videos I found online that uses the same ISP as mine and I use the same VLAN tag as per their suggestion. By the way I'm tech illiterate so I don't have no idea what it means or how does it work ; ) Now I am not sure if mine could be different from theirs but when it was new, it worked. Only once I started having this issue that things get a little bit complicated. I was too busy in the last few days and about to try the suggestion methods after this. Thank you and will update soonish.

Options
2023-08-11 16:22:19

@David-TP Hi, just an update. I've tried both methods and it didn't work. I first tried cloning MAC address but nothing happened and LED is still red. then the IP address troubleshooting, same result. after a while the network that I set up disappeared from my apps and had to redo, and it disappeared again.

Another concern:-

I have actually emailed TP-Link support for replacement last week and the replies I got from them are not easy to understand (had to figure the words and sentences too because it seems like the English is rather incomprehensible). I'm from Malaysia and I contacted TP-Link Malaysia email support but I guess I was directed to Mainland China, based on the language use. please advise on how to really get assistance from local service center. 

Options
2023-08-14 01:19:35

@Squirtle 

Hi, Thank you very much for the message.

You could view the warranty process here:

https://www.tp-link.com/my/support/replacement-warranty/

But it did mention you might have to finish the troubleshooting with the local support first.

If possible, during the warranty request with the local MY support, have you ever tried to keep the ISP old router connected to the modem and connect Deco X68 behind the ISP router, then set up Deco X68 under Dynamic IP first?

After it is online, maybe we could try to update the firmware of X68 to be the latest first to see whether it helped:

Deco X68(US)_V2_1.2.1 Build 20230611

How to Update the Firmware of Deco (method 2 via web UI)

By the way, May I know who is your internet service provider?

Thank you again.

Best regards.

Options