ER7206 v1 will not adopt in Omada Controller

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-31 17:46:26 - last edited 2023-09-25 06:03:21
Model: ER7206 (TL-ER7206)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.0 Build 20230322 Rel.70951

I have spent hours and hours trying to adopt this new ER7206 router I have purchased into my Software Omada Controller 

Controller software version 5.9.31, running on raspberry PI, with 3 EAPs connected fine for many months.

This is what happens when I try to adopt:

- Press Adopt, fails at first, enter username / password, fine

- Device changes to "PROVISIONING"

- Device changes to "CONNECTED"

- Device changes to "CONFIGURING"

At this point, I can still ping the router IP address.

After a minute or so

No longer can ping the router, internet drops

After a few more minutes, 

- Device changes to "ADOPTING"

Then I am stuck.  It just sits there. 

The only way back from here is a factory reset of the ER7206.

----------------

I did manage to successfully adopt at least once tonight, BUT when I went to change the DHCP IP range from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.1.1, everything died, DHCP would not give an IP. Factory reset after that. Multiple attempts to adopt again, all failed like above. Updated firmware from 1.1.1 to the 1.3.0 mentioned above, still no dice.

I have tried with and without setting a router password the first time it launches. 

Both still fail.

Any suggestions?

--- 

Additional information:

- When setting up, I've kept it to minimal devices on the router (ie. disconnected my EAPS and wifi devices), only a couple of phyiscal devices connected

- Raspberry PI Controller IP address allocated via DHCP from the router, and on the same subnet (i.e. router IP 192.168.0.1 and controller 192.168.0.x)

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:ER7206 v1 will not adopt in Omada Controller-Solution
2023-09-01 02:47:15 - last edited 2023-09-01 04:00:11

Hi @J4ce 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

I prefer to make a change to the LAN IP address prior to adoption. Try this.

Reason behind this is when adoption happens, the router resets, the configuration is sent to the router and the router applies, and then the router is changed to 192.168.1.1 successfully. (It's successful. No doubt about that.)

HOWEVER! If you have adopted it in 192.168.0.1/24, your other DHCP devices are not refreshing the IP address because their lease time is not over. They stay in the 192.168.0.1 until 120 minutes of lease time is over. (The discovery and adoption work in the same LAN. You've changed the subnet, so they will become disconnected.) Reconnect the cable would instantly refresh the IP address and everything starts to work again. This is the fix to your situation if you adopt first before you make a subnet change to 192.168.1.1/24.

What should I do when the Omada Software Controller (V4) fails to discover the devices?

What should I do when the Omada Controller (V4) fails to adopt the devices?

I would usually change the LAN IP to what I want and then hit adopt. When it's being adopted, the new config will be applied and it will reboot as well. So, when it stabilizes, everything should work.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:ER7206 v1 will not adopt in Omada Controller-Solution
2023-09-01 02:47:15 - last edited 2023-09-01 04:00:11

Hi @J4ce 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

I prefer to make a change to the LAN IP address prior to adoption. Try this.

Reason behind this is when adoption happens, the router resets, the configuration is sent to the router and the router applies, and then the router is changed to 192.168.1.1 successfully. (It's successful. No doubt about that.)

HOWEVER! If you have adopted it in 192.168.0.1/24, your other DHCP devices are not refreshing the IP address because their lease time is not over. They stay in the 192.168.0.1 until 120 minutes of lease time is over. (The discovery and adoption work in the same LAN. You've changed the subnet, so they will become disconnected.) Reconnect the cable would instantly refresh the IP address and everything starts to work again. This is the fix to your situation if you adopt first before you make a subnet change to 192.168.1.1/24.

What should I do when the Omada Software Controller (V4) fails to discover the devices?

What should I do when the Omada Controller (V4) fails to adopt the devices?

I would usually change the LAN IP to what I want and then hit adopt. When it's being adopted, the new config will be applied and it will reboot as well. So, when it stabilizes, everything should work.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:ER7206 v1 will not adopt in Omada Controller
2023-09-01 03:33:20 - last edited 2023-09-01 03:54:26

Thanks for the reply. I will try and work through what you have provided.

I should note that I looked in the controller settings for LAN and it had DHCP Server off, so maybe I need to enable that in Omada controller before adopting. I would have thought it would enable DHCP by default as DHCP was on in standalone settings.

I did not realise that it will send the Omada Config to the router. That's a key bit of information I was not aware of!

Options
2023-09-01 04:01:32 - last edited 2023-09-01 04:02:51

@Clive_A Hi

I can confirm it has now adopted successfully.

My steps were

1) Setting IP of router to 192.168.1.1 in standalone mode before adoption.

2) ensuring that IP matches above and DHCP is enabled in Omada controller under LAN settings before adopting.

All adopted pretty fast after that.

Many thanks!

Options
2023-09-09 23:34:43
my router is still in the adopting status for a little over 120 min. what should i do a factory reset on the gateway and restart again?
Options
2023-09-10 01:30:53

I guess try unplugging the network cable a few times. 

After that yeah factory I reset.

When adopting you need to make sure you turn on DHCP for your LAN in Omada

Options
2023-09-10 15:58:41

@J4ce It worked, thank you!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 742

Replies: 6

Related Articles