Laptop can't connect to RE550 AC1900 range extender.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-09-08 17:15:06 - last edited 2023-09-18 18:36:06
Model: RE550  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.20 Built 230213

I have a problem connecting my laptop (HP core i5 5th gen) to the RE550 extender, it has a Intel dual band wireless-ac 7265 wifi adapter with 802.11a/b/g/n/ac support but is not able to connect to the extender. Every other device is able to connect to the extender except my laptop. I have updated my wifi adapter driver, reset network settings in windows (windows 10 pro 22H2), reset my wifi router and the extender but still it is not working. What else can I do to solve this problem? Thanks in advance.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Laptop can't connect to RE550 AC1900 range extender. -Solution
2023-09-14 19:07:35 - last edited 2023-09-18 18:36:06

@David-TP 

Hey David,

Yesterday i tried these steps that you wrote:

1.Have you ever set up any static IP addresses on the laptop?:::: Yes, but I did a network reset so it is back to factory settings and I double checked just in case so it is dynamic IP now.

2.Since RE550 is a dual-band extender, if you try to name different SSIDs for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz on RE550, will it be able to connect to the 2.4 GHz? I tried connecting to the RE550 with the LAN port, it worked, but with WIFI still nothing.

Today I thought to try these steps just to verify that the driver is ok:

So i tried something else, uninstalled the latest wifi adapter driver, disabled the wifi adapter installed the driver again, restarted the laptop, enabled the wifi adapter, tried to connect the laptop to the wifi extender and it worked. I honestly do not know why it worked this time but now is ok and it connects to the 2.4 GHz and also to the 5 GHz band.

15.09.2023 Update:::: So apparently my laptop should be within 1 meter of the RE550 extender to be connected at first (which is so odd, because I have signal up to 30 meters from the extender) and then it works up to 10 meters away (I tested it) from the extender which is very strange but a solution either way.

So thank you for your help,

Best regards Meli.

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Laptop can't connect to RE550 AC1900 range extender.
2023-09-13 01:30:58

@Meli2k 

Hi, Thank you very much for your time and patience.

Would there be any error message when the HP laptop failed to connect to RE550?

Is it able to connect to the main Wi-Fi router?

Please also check whether there are any Access Control settings, like MAC Filtering on the main router and RE550.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
2023-09-13 18:35:11

@David-TP 

Hi David,

1.Would there be any error message when the HP laptop failed to connect to RE550?:::Just a notification on windows "Can't connect to this network".

2.Is it able to connect to the main Wi-Fi router?::: Yes with no problems.

3.Please also check whether there are any Access Control settings, like MAC Filtering on the main router and RE550.:::: No AC settings or MAC or IP filtering on both, DHCP enabled, so no static IP conflicts either.

It just doesn't want to connect, I also reset my router and the RE550 with the hope that will fix it but again the same result.

Options
2023-09-14 03:43:01

@Meli2k 

Have you ever set up any static IP addresses on the laptop?

Since RE550 is a dual-band extender, if you try to name different SSIDs for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz on RE550, will it be able to connect to the 2.4 GHz?

When you are available, you could run a simple test:

1. After resetting RE550, do not set it up to connect the router first.

2. Check on the HP laptop whether it is able to connect to RE550's default Wi-Fi signal.

Other than those suggestions, I don't have any other advice and if possible, you could check whether there is any newer wireless driver for HP laptop so that you could update the driver first.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
Re:Laptop can't connect to RE550 AC1900 range extender. -Solution
2023-09-14 19:07:35 - last edited 2023-09-18 18:36:06

@David-TP 

Hey David,

Yesterday i tried these steps that you wrote:

1.Have you ever set up any static IP addresses on the laptop?:::: Yes, but I did a network reset so it is back to factory settings and I double checked just in case so it is dynamic IP now.

2.Since RE550 is a dual-band extender, if you try to name different SSIDs for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz on RE550, will it be able to connect to the 2.4 GHz? I tried connecting to the RE550 with the LAN port, it worked, but with WIFI still nothing.

Today I thought to try these steps just to verify that the driver is ok:

So i tried something else, uninstalled the latest wifi adapter driver, disabled the wifi adapter installed the driver again, restarted the laptop, enabled the wifi adapter, tried to connect the laptop to the wifi extender and it worked. I honestly do not know why it worked this time but now is ok and it connects to the 2.4 GHz and also to the 5 GHz band.

15.09.2023 Update:::: So apparently my laptop should be within 1 meter of the RE550 extender to be connected at first (which is so odd, because I have signal up to 30 meters from the extender) and then it works up to 10 meters away (I tested it) from the extender which is very strange but a solution either way.

So thank you for your help,

Best regards Meli.

Recommended Solution
Options