Archer AX73 Bootloop issue since firmware update - possibly my range extender ?

2023-09-20 08:13:49 - last edited 2023-10-16 08:25:31
Model: Archer AX73  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.0.11 Build 20230829 rel. 37304

Morning everyone, I am wondering if anyone can throw any light on an issue that I have recently started having.

On Sunday night I updated the firmware on my Archer AX73 via the Tether app, this update was to Firmware version 1.0.11 Build 20230829 rel. 37304, on Monday evening when I got in from work my wife advised that working from home had been a struggle as she had experienced a number of issues with the internet, her main gripe was that it was very slow, the kids also said it had been slow, so I logged into the router and rebooted it. This is when the problems seemed to start.....

Upon rebooting the router it seemed to get stuck in a boot loop, continually cycling the lights on the front, after a while I pressed and held the reset button on it and went though the quick config to get it connected to my ISP (Kcom) this was about 7:30pm on Monday, the router then remained stable until about 7am Tuesday morning, at which point it started to boot loop again.

I disconnected the router, threw the Kcom provided Zyxel router in to action and left for work, bringing the AX73 into the office with me, when i got to work I manually re-flashed the router with the latest firmware, input the details for my connection at home, set up the DHCP range and the wifi settings, I left the router sat on my desk and it stayed on all day, I even gave it a couple of reboots to see that it started up ok, which it did. 

I took the router home, plugged it in and everything was working great, that was until I set up my TP-Link RE605X range extender, initially I plugged in the range extender near to my router and re-paired it using WPS, I then moved the range extender upstairs and within 2 minutes my AX73 rebooted, I powered off the range extender and the router remained stable, I moved the range extender back downstairs and powered it on again, the AX73 remained stable all night (through Tuesday into Wednesday) before leaving for work this morning I relocated the range extender back upstairs and left for work, 2 minutes after leaving the house my wife rang to say the internet was off and the AX73 was boot looping so i got her to put the Zyxel router back on and power off the TP-Link kit.

I know there's a lot of detail above but I really want to get this sorted, as an IT Manager the more info I have the easier it is to get issues resolved, has anyone come across this sort of thing before ??  I am leaning towards the problem being caused by the RE605X Range Extender, on two occasions, when it has been moved further away from the router the router has started to boot loop.  Over night, when the router has remained stable (Monday night and Tuesday night) no one will have actively been using the range extender, though there will have been devices connected to it, such as the kids echo dots, not sure if that is useful information or not.  I have noticed that the 2.4Ghz Wifi light appears to be switched off on the range extender despite both 2.4 and the 5GHz connections being turned on. 

My plan for tonight is to reconnect the AX73 but not the range extender, and advise or insight would be greatly appreciated. I noticed in the firware notes that "Easymesh" has been added to the AX73 firmware, i am wondering if this couldbe causing an issue in some way. 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Archer AX73 Bootloop issue since firmware update - possibly my range extender ?-Solution
2023-10-16 08:22:40 - last edited 2023-10-18 06:48:41

DannyRS wrote

@Sunshine Morning all - so, the good news, the router has been running for 72 hours now with no issues, so it does look like the beta firmware has resolved the problem between the Archer and the range extender. 

@DannyRS 

Hi, thank you very much for the update, and really happy to hear that the issue has been resolved. Hope you could enjoy the internet with our product.

If anyone else still has similar issue, please refer to the solution in this thread and also let us know if the issue can be resolved or not.

Archer AX73 V2 might reboot automatically when working together with some Range Extenders

Recommended Solution
Options
68 Reply
Re:Archer AX73 Bootloop issue since firmware update - possibly my range extender ?
2023-09-21 08:06:53

@DannyRS 

Hi, thank you very much for posting on TP-Link Community.

Did you enable EasyMesh on the AX73 Router? If so, please try disabling it to see if it helps.

Please also let us know if the issue still happens after you reconnect the AX73 router without connecting RE605X.

Options
Re:Archer AX73 Bootloop issue since firmware update - possibly my range extender ?
2023-09-21 08:18:25

@Sunshine Morning, thanks for the response.

So the latest is, I reconnected the AX73 last night BUT left my RE605X range extender unplugged, and so far the AX73 has been connected to the internet for just over thirteen and a half hours with no dropout/reboot.

Easymesh is enabled on the router at the moment, my current plan is to see how the AX73 behaves, I am working from home today and tomorrow so will notice if it suddenly drops out, if the AX73 remains stable for a couple of days I will plug in the range extender over the weekend and disable easymesh, I presume onemesh will still work ?  Or has easymesh replaced onemesh now in the firmware?  (that bit I aren't sure about) 

Thanks again for the reply, its much appreciated.

Danny.

Options
2023-09-21 18:44:05

@DannyRS I also have Archer AX73 and RE605X extender and after last update my router reboots itself 2-3 times per day! Something is broken in the last firmware!

Options
2023-09-21 19:10:01

@OleksandrDulia interesting. It's definatley the the firmware that's caused the issue. My AX73 has been stable for 24hours now after leaving the Range Extender off. Next plan is Saturday afternoon plug the extender back in and see what happens.... fully expecting it to crash the router. 
Still not sure if Easymesh has completely replaced Onemesh. It looks like it has. 
If two people, with the same kit, have the same issue, after the firmware update, you'd hope TP-Link investigate. 

Options
2023-09-22 06:37:07

OleksandrDulia wrote

@DannyRS I also have Archer AX73 and RE605X extender and after last update my router reboots itself 2-3 times per day! Something is broken in the last firmware!

@OleksandrDulia 

Hi, thank you very much for the feedback, is your Archer AX72 is also V2 with firmware version 1.0.11 Build 20230829 rel. 37304?

If EasyMesh is enabled at this moment, please try disabling it and monitor if the issue still happens.

Options
2023-09-22 06:42:28

@Sunshine Hi, it is exactly AX73 with firmware 1.0.11 Build 20230829 rel. 37304. Yesterday evening I disabled easy mesh, so my satellite reset their settings, after that I re-enabled easy mesh and connected the extender via WPS button, no re-booting yet, keep watching...

Options
2023-09-22 06:46:13

DannyRS wrote

@OleksandrDulia interesting. It's definatley the the firmware that's caused the issue. My AX73 has been stable for 24hours now after leaving the Range Extender off. Next plan is Saturday afternoon plug the extender back in and see what happens.... fully expecting it to crash the router. 
Still not sure if Easymesh has completely replaced Onemesh. It looks like it has. 
If two people, with the same kit, have the same issue, after the firmware update, you'd hope TP-Link investigate. 

@DannyRS 

Hi, thanks for the reply, we will also report the issue to our senior engineers, and please let us know your testing results, if necessary, we will forward your case to senior engineer for further debugging.

Regarding your question about OneMesh, the EasyMesh routers support both EasyMesh and also OneMesh, but since there is only one EasyMesh on/off switch, disabling EasyMesh will also disable OneMesh.

Options
2023-09-22 07:00:31

@Sunshine Thanks for coming back to me, so in effect the Easymesh switch in the firmware has replaced the Onemesh switch, that's fine for the time being, as long as i know that, I didn't want to spend time poking about the settings looking for the Onemesh switch :-)

The latest this morning is, that with the RE605X range extender still turned off the AX73 has been 100% reliable as it was pre firmware update. 

@OleksandrDulia please keep us posted on how your AX73 behaves after switching Easymesh off and back on, I haven't taken that approach as yet, I went with the nuclear option of resetting both devices and starting again.

I'm working from home today and my wife is tomorrow, but at some stage tomorrow afternoon / evening i will plug the range extender back in to see what happens. if that does indeed cause the AX73 to reboot i will switch off the Easy mesh setting (resetting the range extender) and re-pair them via WPS as @OleksandrDulia has done to see if that gets me any positive results. 

Options
2023-09-22 14:00:17

@DannyRS 19 hours without rebooting

Options
2023-09-22 14:32:00

@OleksandrDulia Good to hear, can i ask, did you disable Easymesh whilst your range extender was plugged in and switched on ?  

Mines currently unplugged so i wasn't sure if disabling Easymesh whilst its powered off would have the same effect. Thanks. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 5284

Replies: 68

Related Articles