Speed slower in Router Mode vs. Access Point

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-10-18 02:41:40
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 1.1.0

Hello, I currently have 3 Deco X20s where one is connected via Ethernet to my ISP's router/modem in Router Mode. I'm supposed to be getting 100 Mbps download and 30 Mbps upload, however, even when i'm directly connected to the main Deco unit (the one connected to the ISP router/modem), i only get around 20 Mbps download and for some reason i higher upload of about 25 Mbps. I just tried switching the system to Access Point and the internet speed test jumped up to ~300 Mbps download and around 30 Mbps upload. All tests were also completed with my computer connected via Ethernet as well.

I live in a ~2500 sq ft house so it's a normal residence size as well so I'm not sure if switching to Access Point is what i'm supposed to be doing or not given the default Router Mode. Would anyone know why Access Point is giving me higher download speeds (that surpass what I'm paying for) or why I'm not getting the download speeds of what i'm paying for even when connected via Ethernet when the Deco is set to Router Mode?

Thanks!

Options
5 Reply
Re:Speed slower in Router Mode vs. Access Point
2023-10-18 05:07:42

@Mystermatt When you have a router/modem provided by your ISP, it is recommended to run the Decos in AP mode

Just a M4 (2-pack) user who regrets buying it
Options
2023-10-18 19:53:49

@ImtiazAli thanks for the quick reply, I didn't know that AP was the recommended mode if there is an existing ISP modem/router. I'll try running in AP mode and moving the main deco away from the ISP modem/router to reduce interference.

Any idea why the speed is slower in router mode though?

Options
2023-10-19 07:49:14

@Mystermatt 

Hi, Have you enabled QOS when Deco X20 is in wireless router mode?

I was thinking maybe inappropriate bandwidth has been set for QOS.

By the way, May I know who is your internet service provider?

Normally, Wireless router mode is supposed to provide similar bandwidth as Access Point mode.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
2023-10-20 18:54:07

@David-TP 

Hi David,

My QoS is enabled, but no devices are listed on it. The bandwidth is set to 1000 Mbps up and down. My ISP is Rogers (I live in Canada).

Thanks,

Matthew

Options
2023-10-20 21:20:16

Mystermatt wrote

I live in a ~2500 sq ft house so it's a normal residence size as well so I'm not sure if switching to Access Point is what i'm supposed to be doing or not given the default Router Mode. Would anyone know why Access Point is giving me higher download speeds (that surpass what I'm paying for) or why I'm not getting the download speeds of what i'm paying for even when connected via Ethernet when the Deco is set to Router Mode?

@Mystermatt 

I may be able to answer the question of speeds higher than what you are paying for. My ISP is Rogers, too. You are having their new Rogers Ignite WiFi gateway, right?

I am subscribed to 500Mbps and this is what I am getting from Rogers cable gateway WiFi. Everything wired to it gets gigabit speeds. 

I suspect that you have same with Rogers: wired 300Mbps (it is one of their legacy tiers of Internet speed), but 100Mbps on WiFi. If you want, run the test: enable WiFi on Rogers Gateway, connect device to it and see what speeds you'll get. If I am right, Rogers Gateway WiFi speeds would be 100Mbps.

Which means, enjoy extra bonus of having Deco WiFi mesh with Rogers cable Internet. If everything is setup right, you should be getting same speeds in Deco Router mode as in Access Point mode. Why it is not the case, I can't explain.

I would recommend running your Deco mesh in Access Point mode mode. If you need parental controls, use Rogers Ignite WiFi gateway features.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2342

Replies: 5

Related Articles