Range Extender WiFi speed is 1/10th the speed of its Ethernet Port speed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-10-26 17:37:29
Model: RE550  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.0.30 Build 230213 Rel.55420n

Hi

I have positioned my RE550 WiFi extender at the "Perfect Signal" location as noted in the Location Assistant within the Tether app.

When I connect my computer directly to the RE550 Ethernet port, I get speeds of around 500Mbps which is absolutely fantastic, as this is my max broadband connection and therefore the maximum speed that I could hope to achieve.

However, if I disconnect the ethernet connection, and connect from the same RE550 (which is still in the same location) over its 5G WiFi connection to the same computer, I get transfers speeds of about 1/10th that of the ethernet connection.  That is, about 50Mbps.  The distance between the WiFi extender and the computer is less than a meter, and there is nothing inbetween. 

I have moved the WiFi extender to a location right beside my router, and I experience the same discrepency.  

Any suggestions what would cause the 90% drop in speed between the Ethernet port and the 5G WiFi?

Thanks

Options
4 Reply
Re:Range Extender WiFi speed is 1/10th the speed of its Ethernet Port speed
2023-10-26 18:55:44 - last edited 2023-10-26 21:57:45

@BorisBold 

The type of wireless connection is half-duplex, which means that the specified bandwidth (1300mbps for RE550 on 5Ghz) is halved on every next hop when devices are connected wirelessly.

On the second hop this bandwidth is halved again which means 1/4 of the initial bandwidth.

For example on 5GHz your RE550 is 1300mbps capable => 650mbps from your router to the RE550 => 325 mbps from RE550 to your laptop (at best case scenario).

This calculation is valid when you use only the 5GHz band for connecting your RE550 to your router and to your laptop.

That's why the ethernet cable connection is alway preferable when it's possible to use it.

The other thing you can do is to try manual "High Speed" settings and check if there's any difference:

Have you measured the bandwidth connecting your laptop directly to your router (bypassing your RE550) ? Is it near the advertised bandwidth by your ISP ?

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2023-10-26 21:06:58

@terziyski 

Many thanks for taking the time to respond. Much appreciated.

I have spent a fair amount of time experimenting with various setting options, and have tried changing the High Speed settings - none of these made any difference.

And I understand your logic of the bandwidth halving for each hop, but I struggle to understand the huge drop in bandwidth that I'm experiencing.

When I have;

Router -> Extender (over 5g wifi) -> computer (over Ethernet), I can get full broadband bandwidth, so no reduction in speed caused by the first WiFi hop.

When I have;

Router -> Extender (over 5g wifi) -> computer (over 5g WiFi), I get a tenth of the speed of the above configuration, but there is only one more WiFi hop. 

I also struggle to accept that the best a wifi extender could ever achieve is 25% of the initial WiFi speed. But maybe that's just my unreasonable expectations!

Again - thanks for your help.

Options
2023-10-30 02:08:24 - last edited 2023-10-30 02:08:46

@BorisBold 

Hi, Have you checked the wireless link speed on the laptop when it is connected to the 5GHz of RE550?

How to check the associated/link speed on a wireless client

50m/s over 5GHz is far below expectation. With the link speed of 867m/s, the expected speed would be 250-350m/s.

It is also suggested to change the wireless channel on the host router to a less-occupied channel, like 36/48, then RE550 will follow the same channel as the host router.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
2023-10-31 15:06:35

@David-TP 

Thanks for responding.

For some reason, the situation has improved without me doing anything.  After it being consistently about 50Mbps to 70Mbps for quite a few days,  I am now getting about 170Mbps.  The link speed is measuring at 450Mbps so that sounds like it is more in line with expectation.  However, I'll continue to use the ethernet connection into the RE550 which is consistently delivering over 400Mbps.

Thanks again.

Options