Deco S7: Option to Disable Built-in Hidden Wi-Fi Network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-10-29 07:31:35 - last edited 2023-10-29 07:32:57
Model: Deco S7  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.4.1

Hello,

I am reaching out regarding my TP-Link Deco S7 (EU) system, which consists of three units, all running version 1.20 with Firmware Version 1.4.1 Build 20230324 Rel. 50892.

I have read all messages on the "What are these hidden networks and how to get rid of them" and "Found Archer C7 v5 or Archer A7 v5 is emitting hidden network? Read it to get more details." threads.

There is a Hidden Wi-Fi Network created by Decos and it can not be disabled currently.

In light of the information gathered from the threads mentioned above, I would like to request the following changes or options be considered for the Deco S7 system:

1) Option to Disable Hidden Wi-Fi Network When Decos Are Connected via Ethernet Cable: Currently, even when Decos are physically connected to each other via an Ethernet cable, the built-in hidden Wi-Fi network remains active. I kindly request that an option be introduced to disable this hidden Wi-Fi network under such circumstances.

2) Option to Disable Hidden Wi-Fi Network When Decos Are Connected via Home Wi-Fi: I'm also curious about the necessity of the hidden Wi-Fi network when Decos are connected to each other via the home Wi-Fi network. If it's possible to have Decos communicate with each other over the home Wi-Fi, it raises the question of why an additional hidden network is required. Consequently, I would appreciate it if an option could be implemented to disable the hidden Wi-Fi network when Decos are connected to each other via home Wi-Fi.

Thank you for your time and support.

@David-TP 

Options
2 Reply
Re:Deco S7: Option to Disable Built-in Hidden Wi-Fi Network
2023-10-30 06:43:57

@meto85 

Hi, Thank you very much for your feedback.

I think, unlike OneMesh/EasyMesh routers/extenders, if you don't require a Mesh system, the hidden Backhaul is unnecessary.  Deco's design focuses primarily on providing a robust Mesh network, rather than functioning solely as a standard Wi-Fi router. While Ethernet Backhaul is a valuable feature that enhances overall network performance, the Wi-Fi mesh Backhaul is the essential foundation, ready to activate as a backup connection in case any issues arise with the Ethernet Backhaul/Powerline Backhaul.

As for the second feature request, I see you mentioned: “ When Decos Are Connected via Home Wi-Fi”. What do you mean precisely by the "Home Wi-Fi"? Do you mean the visible 2.4/5/6 GHz Wireless signals on Deco? In other words, do you want to say both satellite Deco units and mobile clients could be connected to "Home Wi-Fi", instead satellite Deco units are connected by hidden WiFi signals, and mobile devices are connected by Home Wi-Fi?

Best regards.

Options
Re:Deco S7: Option to Disable Built-in Hidden Wi-Fi Network
2023-10-30 08:42:36

Hi  @David-TP 

Yes, I mean "Home Wi-Fi" as "Visible 2.4/5/6 GHz Wireless signals on Deco".

And yes I mean "Both satellite Deco units and mobile clients could be connected to "Home Wi-Fi", instead satellite Deco units are connected by hidden WiFi signals, and mobile devices are connected by Home Wi-Fi".

According to your answer I understand that, the hidden Wi-Fi network is a backup connection and an option to disable that hidden Wi-Fi network is impossible.

Best regards.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 450

Replies: 2

Related Articles