TL-WA850RE extender is preventing my Zyxel router to provide an Ip-address to my PC

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TL-WA850RE extender is preventing my Zyxel router to provide an Ip-address to my PC

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-11-05 12:56:32 - last edited 2023-11-05 13:01:49
Model: TL-WA850RE  
Hardware Version: V7
Firmware Version: 1.0.12 Build 221109 Rel. 31477n

Hello,

I have just got a TL-WA850RE v7 wifi extender and everything seems to work fine BUT after a while (a couple of hours or so) when I start my Windows PC that is connected to my ZyXEL WMG8924-B10A router (not the extender) it cannot get access to the network / internet.  Notice that my PC is connected via LAN (cable) to the router . (but same issue if PC is using wifi from router )

On my PC I get an error message like this "can't connect to the DHCP server" and it seems my PC can't get ip address from the router. 
 (All other devices connected to the Router (and extender) is still working (they remains  powered on ) )

If I then unplug the Tp-Link Wifi extender and wait for about 30 - 60 sec. my PC automatically gets network/internet connection (and an IP-address) and I can now connect the wifi-extender to outlet again without issues (until I open another PC that has been powered off for some hours).
But after a couple hours where my PC has been shutdown I have the same problem again - very annoying !

I have tried to disable DHCP on extender but that doesn't solve the issue.  Normally it is set to 'Auto'.

The Wifi extender is set to use same SSID as the 2.4 Ghz SSID on router (5.0 GHz net has another SSID on router) - all other settings on Extender is default .

To me it sounds like the Tp-Link Extender somehow prevent my Zyxel router to provide an ip-address to my Windows PC . 

( I can see that the Ip-adresses on devices connected to the Extender starts from 192.168.1.100  )

!! After some testing it seems it's working fine if I change the SSID on the extender - adding _EXT to the name, but I prefer using the same SSID as my router on the 2.4GHz wifi .!!

Please advice.

Options
4 Reply
Re: TL-WA850RE extender is preventing my Zyxel router to provide an Ip-address to my PC
2023-11-05 14:00:07

@Diorama  hmm.. just found this

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/628396

sounds a bit  similar to my issue ...

Options
Re: TL-WA850RE extender is preventing my Zyxel router to provide an Ip-address to my PC
2023-11-06 03:44:00

@Diorama 

Hi, did it help if you installed the beta firmware on Post #628396?

Wait for your reply and best regards.

Options
2023-11-06 07:11:42

@David-TP 

Hi 

No I have not installed the suggested Beta firmware (yet).
I'm not sure I want to be a beta tester  - don't know if it is safe to install/ use the suggested BETA firmware ?  

Also on tp-link website it says: (  https://www.tp-link.com/dk/support/download/tl-wa850re/#Firmware )

It is NOT suggested to upgrade firmware which is not for your region. Please click here to choose your own region and download the most suitable firmware version. ( eg. the firmware of EU and US are different hardware versions)

I'm located in EU

My current firmware is Version: 1.0.12 Build 221109 Rel. 31477n   and I can’t find / download this version from tp-link website. 
The newest official firmware for download is from 2021-12-15 which is  older !!
Beta version seems to be from 2023-06-07 

But I don’t find a newer official firmware ? 

So it seems that I'm NOT able to roll back to my current firmware if something get worse ? That's also why I'm hesitating.

Do you know when there will released a official firmware in my region ?

Options
2024-01-10 09:19:31

@Diorama 

Hi ,

I have now installed the new firmware :  TL-WA850RE(EU)_V7_1.0.13 Build 231115

and it seems to have solved the problem 😀

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 901

Replies: 4

Related Articles