The ER7206 router experiences a delay in startup when assigning multiple VLANs to the device.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

The ER7206 router experiences a delay in startup when assigning multiple VLANs to the device.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-11-06 20:32:44
Model: ER7206 (TL-ER7206)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: ER7206(UN)_V1_1.2.3 Build 20221104

I am currently working on a project to implement a network infrastructure for a hotel environment, where each room will have its own VLAN. We anticipate approximately 110 units, resulting in 110 VLANs and 110 PPSK profiles. Each VLAN is expected to receive a DHCP server that will allocate a maximum of 6 IPs per room.

I have already configured the necessary settings on the OMADA Controller. However, I am encountering an issue during synchronization with the ER7206 router. The synchronization process takes hours to complete, and every time the router is restarted, the boot time is excessively long.

In initiating this project, I took inspiration from the TP-Link page I referenced below:

https://www.tp-link.com/ar/solution/mdu/

To provide context, the equipment I am using in my network setup includes:

• 1 TL-ER7206
  • 4 TL-SG2218
  • 3 TL-SG2428P
  • 16 EAPs 225 V3
  • OMADA CONTROLLER SOFTWARE

I would greatly appreciate any guidance or advice you can offer to address these challenges. Your expertise will be invaluable to the success of this project.

Thank you in advance for your attention.

Warm regards,

Options
4 Reply
Re:The ER7206 router experiences a delay in startup when assigning multiple VLANs to the device.
2023-11-07 02:37:12 - last edited 2023-11-07 03:02:21

Hi @WilliamVaccani 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

1. Omada Pro, which is the link you posted, is not a product I am responsible for. This is a partnership and you should contact the local TP-Link for its partnership and procurement. Support and purchase are all made with the local company of ours.

2. ER7206 and other models you have are not a part of the Omada Pro series.

3. It is normal to sync for a longer time if you have more parameters. This is common with people creating tons of ACL and VLAN interfaces. So, either upgrade to a more powerful model like ER8411 or seek Omada Pro plan which the local company should provide you with a customized plan based on your needs.

In addition, if you use this setup, you should use bridge VLAN. Then assign the VLAN to the PPSK profiles. Then 10 VLAN interfaces probably would be enough. But I cannot guarantee you that ER7206 would be capable of this. Recommend you upgrade the ER7206 if necessary. For the software controller on the PC, recommend you install it on a powerful PC. Recommended Server Specifications for Omada Software Controller

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
Re:The ER7206 router experiences a delay in startup when assigning multiple VLANs to the device.
2023-11-07 12:36:59

@Clive_A 

I greatly appreciate your prompt response and the valuable insights you provided.

Could you kindly provide further details or direct me to study materials regarding Bridge VLAN? I am eager to delve deeper into this topic and gain a comprehensive understanding.

Thank you once again for your assistance.

Warm regards,

Options
2023-11-07 18:08:49

@WilliamVaccani 

I would look at the 8411 over the 7206.  

Doing a hotel is a tricky part.  I've done a few in my time.  Setting up 1 guest portal would be the best idea.  Dropping them into a fairly large /23 or /22 isolated VLAN.  Set the DHCP Lease times to 1 hour.  

The thing you have to remember, All the IP addresses that are made, means each IP stands up in memory usage.  

110 VLANS at a /24 is close to 28K IP addresses.  

Trimming it down would be the best bet... or buy a ER8411 that has way more horsepower under the hood.  

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options
2023-11-07 21:34:25

@KimcheeGUN 

Thank you for responding!

The need to provide exclusive VLANs in each dormitory is due to the use of devices with built-in Chromecast that come with Android TV devices. It is essential to ensure that the user only has access to devices connected to the VLAN, ensuring the security and privacy of guests.

In the current configuration, I have created a DHCP server range /29 for each VLAN. Each port on the switch corresponds to a VLAN, allowing the TV to be connected to the specific VLAN. Additionally, I am using PPSK to assign the user to the VLAN when authenticating on the Wi-Fi network.

Regarding the ER8411 model, it is important to note that it is not yet available in Brazil. In this case, I considered the possibility of adding more than one ER7206 to the network to distribute the load. Would this solution be feasible and able to meet the project's needs?

Thank you for your assistance!

Options