Severe Lag/Latency with TP-Link AXE 5400 Tri-Band WiFi 6E Router

2023-11-11 11:01:50 - last edited 2023-11-11 11:42:07
Model: Archer AXE75  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.8 Build 20230718 rel.47014(4555)

Hi There,

I am experiencing severe latency and networking issues/spikes when connected to my Quest 3 via Virtual Desktop (version 1.29.8) and the Archer AXE75. This issue appears to be sporadic, but for the most part (and I mean MOST) it is unusable. Sometimes I am able to connect to SteamVR and play various titles will none/limited issues. But 99% of the time the view in the Quest 3 judders terrible. I don't even have to be in-game for this to happen. Even the SteamVR app where your games are listed also suffer the same issue. I have tried installing Windows freshly. Even moving to Windows 11. Removing unnecessary apps running. Disabling vpn. Disabling G-sync. Nothing works. After seeing video's on YouTube has now made me realise it looks to be a firmware issue with the AXE5400/75 router.

I am using the monitoring function of Virtual Desktop so I can monitor these issues in-game. The latency can be as low as 37ms and then before my eyes shoot up to over 200ms for no apparent reason. Other spikes are effecting frame rate and networking so it does look to be the router. I am using 6ghz and nothing else is using this band but the Quest 3. I have also tried Wifi 5 and had the same issue.  I have disabled 2.4ghz and just have 5ghz and 6ghz. I am getting from 1900 to 2400mbps transfer speed but the latency does not reflect this at all. Both WiFi bands are separated. 

I only have until November 22nd before my return window expires with Amazon. I do understand other brands of routers are having similar issues. I wouldn't be surprised if the firmware of the Quest 3 is also to blame. This is my first Meta product so cannot compare with other headsets. I have had so many updates recently. Almost every day or every other day, but because there are no update notes, I don't know what's been fixed or changed. The Meta website only seems to list update info from weeks ago. 

I would like to also add that my play-space is just a metre or two from the router. I have also tried different channels too. There is no one living near my home that even uses wifi 6. So this is definitely not a traffic/congestion problem. 

I hope a fix is found very soon or I will have to refund this unit. This issue is driving me crazy. Ive spend the past week trying to fault-find this issue but have had no success what-so-ever. Very frustrating indeed.

CPU - AMD Ryzen 7700X

Graphics card - Gigabyte RTX3080

Memory - CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 RAM 32GB (2x16GB) 6000MHz

Cheers,

Options
3 Reply
Re:Severe Lag/Latency with TP-Link AXE 5400 Tri-Band WiFi 6E Router
2023-11-13 08:20:11

@ymo1965 

Thank you very much for posting on TP-Link Community.

To assist you efficiently, I've forwarded your case to the TP-Link support engineers who will contact you with your registered email address later. Please pay attention to your email box for follow-up.

If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2023-11-13 08:40:38
Thank you, but that will not be necessary. I have now decided to return this unit. I have wasted too much time trying to rectify the problem. Please delete this post.
Options
2023-12-29 19:30:19

@Sunshine 
Hi,
I have the exact same issue as the guy who initialy wrote to you. I cant reach speed over 2400Gbps with 5 GHz and if i connetc with WIFI 6 the connection flucurates with 1900-2400Gbps. I use the router dedicated for Quest 3 and it is placed about 1,5m from my headset.
Regards /Jimmy

Options