Mesh network with 2 x Archer and Extender

2023-11-15 10:05:32 - last edited 2023-12-05 12:43:18
Model: Archer AX73  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

Good morning,

I'm trying to set up a permanent home network now that fiber optics has finally arrived in my area.
I already have an Archer AX73 V2 EU router (i still have to update the firmware for Easymesh compatibility) and a RE605X range extender which currently work correctly in Onemesh mode.
However, I would like to extend the coverage well over the entire house and I would also like to create a wired connection for a PC that needs as much speed as possible.
Below is a small illustrative diagram of how I would like to do it:

I'm not sure if this proposal can work properly. I'd like to have everything connected in Easymesh with the second router wired to the first (for more speed), and I'd also like to keep the range extender. 
Obviously I would also like to have a single wifi network throughout the house (limited to the range of the devices)

Is it possible to have only one Easymesh network in this configuration? And if is possibile, which router do you recommend to connect to the first one?

Thank you in advance

Alan

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Mesh network with 2 x Archer and Extender-Solution
2023-11-16 08:52:31 - last edited 2023-12-05 12:43:18

@Alan220387 

Hi,

AX73 EU V2 has already supported EasyMesh and Ethernet Backhaul, so as long as the another router you will purchase also support EasyMesh Ethernet Backhaul, they will be able to build an EasyMesh network via ethernet connection, another AX72 EU V2 or AX55 V1 are both fine since AX55 V1 trail firmware supported it as well: Public Beta for Archer AX55 V1 Supports EasyMesh Ethernet Backhaul, DoH&DoT, ECO Mode and More

By the way, is your RE605X V3 or older version? RE605X V3 supports EasyMesh as well. Anyway, even if it is V1/V2 which supports OneMesh only, it could still work as satellite extender via WiFi connection to EasyMesh routers, so your network disgram should be working fine.

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Mesh network with 2 x Archer and Extender-Solution
2023-11-16 08:52:31 - last edited 2023-12-05 12:43:18

@Alan220387 

Hi,

AX73 EU V2 has already supported EasyMesh and Ethernet Backhaul, so as long as the another router you will purchase also support EasyMesh Ethernet Backhaul, they will be able to build an EasyMesh network via ethernet connection, another AX72 EU V2 or AX55 V1 are both fine since AX55 V1 trail firmware supported it as well: Public Beta for Archer AX55 V1 Supports EasyMesh Ethernet Backhaul, DoH&DoT, ECO Mode and More

By the way, is your RE605X V3 or older version? RE605X V3 supports EasyMesh as well. Anyway, even if it is V1/V2 which supports OneMesh only, it could still work as satellite extender via WiFi connection to EasyMesh routers, so your network disgram should be working fine.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Mesh network with 2 x Archer and Extender
2023-11-16 10:58:31

@Sunshine 

Thank you very much for the help. 

Yesterday i did the firmware update on the Archer AX73, reset and rebuild the network (very simple at this time). I also connected the RE605X as satellite and all works perfectly. I don't know the version of the RE605X, i must see this night.

For the second router, what is your suggestion? Here in Italy the Archer AX73 costs almost twice as much as the Archer AX55, but if the performance is better (coverage and speed in Wi-fi, in ETH connection i think is the same) i go with another AX73.

The procedure to connect the second Routher as satellite is the same as for teh RE605X with the WPS button? 

Thank you very much. 

Options
2023-11-23 08:37:22

@Alan220387 

Hi, AX73 is indeed a higher level router compared with AX55, the wireless performance should be better. Regarding the Ethernet connection, they both have Gigabit WAN or LAN Ports, however, the AX73 support Static Link Aggregation (LAG) which could aggregate 2× LAN ports together to improve the LAN connection throughput, while AX55 doesn't support it.

Please note that the Link Aggregation requires the other end like computer or NAS etc. supporting it as well.

In my opinion, we don't have to choose the highest level routers, instead, users could choose a proper one based on the paid bandwidth and the environment or area you need the WiFi.

Options
2023-11-23 09:24:33

@Sunshine

Thank you very much for the answer and for the suggestion, i think i'll go with the AX55.

I did a Speedtest and i have 850/900 mbps in download and 280/300 mbps in upload, connected with an ETH cable direct to the router. 

I think the AX55 is a good option.

I have another question: 

I need to add a switch gigabit between the router AX73 ad the other ETH devices, so the satellite router AX55 is not directly connected to the main router AX73 but passes through the switch (I don't have enough room inside the pipe to go with multiple ETH cables direct to the router). 

Can i create an Easymesh system or the switch can create issues? 

Thank you

Options
2023-11-23 09:36:46

@Alan220387 

We don't receive feedback before about any issue caused by the switch between main router and satellite router, you could make sure it is not a managed switch with advanced functions like VLAN etc., unmanaged switch should not affect the EasyMesh Ethernet Backhaul, if there is any issues, please let us know.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 620

Replies: 5

Related Articles