Will adding a powerline adapter in between two adapters improve signal strength?

Will adding a powerline adapter in between two adapters improve signal strength?

2023-11-20 13:00:41 - last edited 2023-11-28 13:17:28
Model: TL-PA7017P  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 3.2.4_701F14_191101_901

I have installed two TL-PA7017P. One is installed next to my router on the ground floor. The other is installed in my bedroom on the 2nd floor.

After doing a couple latency tests I see that the connection is quite stable. I get 2 ping average jitter. But after doing a speedtest I only get 40mbps, while my router can do 510mbps.

The fastest I can get the TL-PA7017P is when I put them right next to each other in the same outlet. This will give me 260mbps. On the second floor I can get 150mbps.

I previously used wifi boosters but they have trouble getting low ping so I now use powerline adapters. I know that adding a second wifi booster in between my router and a wifi booster will improve the connection. But does this work the same with powerline adapters?

Will adding a third TL-PA7017P improve my speed?

Have any of you tried this?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Will adding a powerline adapter in between two adapters improve signal strength?-Solution
2023-11-28 13:17:15 - last edited 2023-11-28 13:17:28
I tried it and it dramatically decreases speed. I got a very unstable 9mbps top speed. I couldn't force adapter 1 to connect to adapter 2. It kept connecting adapter 1 to adapter 3.
Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Will adding a powerline adapter in between two adapters improve signal strength?
2023-11-21 00:34:17

@WololoWololo 

Putting a range extender in between the router and another range extender will improve only the wireless signal strength but not the network throughput.

With every additional range extender (on every hop) the throughput will be halved because wireless connection type is a half-duplex.

I doubt that putting an intermediate PLC will improve your network throughput. For best throughput result an ethernet cable has to be routed.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
Re:Will adding a powerline adapter in between two adapters improve signal strength?-Solution
2023-11-28 13:17:15 - last edited 2023-11-28 13:17:28
I tried it and it dramatically decreases speed. I got a very unstable 9mbps top speed. I couldn't force adapter 1 to connect to adapter 2. It kept connecting adapter 1 to adapter 3.
Recommended Solution
Options