This is a detect SM, it's supposed to be invisiable
This is a detect SM, it's supposed to be invisiable
2023-11-21 11:18:03 - last edited 2023-12-02 15:24:11
Tags: #SMS
Model: M7350  
Hardware Version: V7
Firmware Version: 7.0.3 Build 220419 Rel.1014n

Dear TP-Link Team,

I hope this message finds you well. Approximately a week ago, I purchased the TP-Link M7350 device and acquired a Vodafone data SIM card just two days ago.

While accessing messages on the device to review any notifications, I encountered an unusual message that prompted further investigation online. The message was sent from the number 10086 and stated:

"This is a detect SM, it's supposed to be invisible."

Further online research indicated that the sending number is associated with a Chinese telecommunications company, 10086. Moreover, it appears that the message content is related to silent tracking for device location detection, potentially jeopardizing user privacy by the Chinese number 10086.

The concerning and puzzling aspect is that when transferring the SIM card to a mobile phone, this particular message does not appear. It's noteworthy that messages are stored on the SIM card and only appear on the M7350 Wi-Fi device.

My inquiry pertains to whether this service is affiliated with your company. If so, could you kindly clarify the purpose behind this service, its usage, and the information it gathers?

Conversely, if this message is not associated with TP-Link but rather a third-party entity, I seek guidance on how to minimize potential risks and secure our privacy from such messages.

I greatly appreciate your attention to this matter and would be immensely thankful for your clarification and guidance regarding this issue, especially concerning user privacy.

Thank you very much for your time and assistance.

Respectfully, Amina

Options
5 Reply
Re:This is a detect SM, it's supposed to be invisiable
2023-11-22 11:54:41

@Amina-ahmed23 

Hi, thank you very much for posting on TP-Link Community.

We've never received such feedback before, and will consult senior engineer as well.

At the same time, we would like to confirm more details, you mentioned that the messages are stored on the SIM card and only appear on the M7350 Wi-Fi device.

If you remove the SIM card from M7350 and insert it in your phone, the SMS inbox on M7350 would be empty, and SMS inbox in your phone will have messages of this SIM card excluding this message from 10086 number, right?

Besides, after you insert the SIM card back to M7350 again, will you receive new messages with the same content from the same 10086 number? or only the previous message appears, I would like to confirm if you keep receiving that message regularly, or only once.

By the way, may I know where you purchased this M7350? and it was purchased brand new, right?

Options
2023-11-23 10:00:12 - last edited 2023-12-02 15:24:45

@Sunshine 

The device was purchased from Al-Bustan Computer Store, and it was sealed in its box, which I personally unboxed. A Vodafone SIM card was bought along with a 150 GB internet data package.

Upon inserting the SIM card into the mobile Mi-Fi device (M7350), the first message arrived approximately ten minutes later. Another message arrived the following day, and today, after lodging the complaint, I received another message from the same number with the same content.

Upon removing the SIM card from the M7350 device and turning it on, I found all three messages present without the SIM card. Upon reinserting the SIM card into my Android mobile phone, I did not find any of those messages.

When reinserting the SIM card into the M7350 mobile Mi-Fi device, no new messages arrived. Instead, they arrive at different times without any changes in settings or the SIM card.

It's worth noting that these messages usually come when the M7350 device is in idle mode, not connected to the network, in power-saving mode. Upon opening the message, the recorded time indicates reception during the idle state of the M7350 mobile Mi-Fi device.

I hope these points are clearer now.

Finally, I appreciate your attention to this matter.

Options
2023-11-23 12:20:59

@Amina-ahmed23 

Hi, thank you very much for the detailed information, we've confirmed that we don't have such function or service. Based on your description, the messages were received at different times which is usually not at the moment inserting the SIM card into the device.

It is recommanded to insert the same SIM card into another 4G device like your smartphone or longer time such as 2 or 3 days to see if the same message will be received or not.

Options
2024-01-18 21:27:29

@Amina-ahmed23 

Hi Amina,

I had a similar experience with my TP-Link M7350. Received the same message from 10086. It's strange that it only shows on the M7350, not on the phone. Waiting for TP-Link's response on whether it's their service or a third-party  Invisible Text issue. Let's hope for a quick resolution to ensure our privacy.

Options
2024-01-19 02:08:52

@jhoncarles725 

Hi, 

May I know if you received one message only from 10086 at the moment of inserting the SIM card into the M7350, or keep receiving it at different times while using it?

The SMS messages are saved in the device instead of SIM card, so when you insert the SIM card into your phone, previous received SMS messages will not show on the phone. 

Besides, we've confirmed that we don't have such function or service, when you insert the SIM card into your phone for testing, please test for longer time such as 2 or 3 days to see if the same message will be received or not. The required time is related to how often you usually receive the message when using it on M7350.

By the way, who is the ISP of your SIM card? and will there be the same message if you use different SIM card in the M7350?

Please also let us know the hardware and firmware version of your M7350.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 488

Replies: 5

Tags

Related Articles