Deco X50-5G AX3000 - WAN backup etc

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-11-22 10:35:38
Model: Deco X50-5G  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I'm looking for a 5G NSA/SA router that provides failover. However, I want apparently 'non-standard' failover - I want it to provide 5G WAN services and in the event that fails, I want it to failover to wired ADSL (provided in the UK by BT, using their standard provided router). I wondered if anyone could advise me if the TP-Link X50-5G router would provide this kind of service?

Like many people, I live in a very rural setting. Until recently, we had NO mobile phone signal and relied on BT ADSL which provided 10M/1M internet access (which was quite unreliable). During a recent storm, the phone line was destroyed by falling trees and we were uncontactable for 9 days. However, a new phone mast has been built on the other side of the valley which provides 5G service and we have clear line of sight to it about 1 mile away. I use an old B618 4G router, which gives us about 35M/20M. I'm interested in speeding this up using 5G if I can - but also increasing the resilience by using failover to the slower service, if possible.

As a second question, I'm also interested to know if this router makes any noise (eg fan noise). As you can probably tell from the rest of the message, we like our peace and quiet!

Thanks

Eric

Options
2 Reply
Re:Deco X50-5G AX3000 - WAN backup etc
2023-11-24 03:47:05

@bejb Hi, Eric, Thank you very much for your time and patience.

For Deco X50-5G, I am afraid it works the other way around. It would use the ADSL service as the primary connection, and then save the 5G NSA/SA service as the backup.

How to set up 3G/4G or 4G/5G Backup on Deco router

I think the fan noise of Deco X50-5G is quite subtle since I haven't received any complaints about its noise issue yet.

Best regards.

Options
Re:Deco X50-5G AX3000 - WAN backup etc
2023-11-24 09:29:17
Many thanks for your very rapid reply. Its a shame. It looks like a nice router and very affordable - but that is not how I need it to work. In common with most people in rural locations, there is no chance of a fibre connection (either FTTC or FTTP). So where 5G is available, it is 5-50 times faster than ADSL. So for rural locations, 5G must be the primary, with ADSL being used only as a last ditch desperate connection to prevent total isolation. I think I'll look more closely at the Zyxel 5G routers, as they appear to offer the ability to choose which connection is primary and which is secondary. It is a shame as my other kit is TP-Link, and the Zyxel routers seem to be only available as Three/EE hand-me-downs. Still - needs must! Thanks again.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 598

Replies: 2

Related Articles