X50-5G and PX50 - how do I use the powerline backhaul

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-11-24 23:09:31
Model: Deco X50-5G   Deco PX50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.1 on X50-5G, 1.2.1 on PX50 (latest)

I recently purchased a Deco X50-5G and a 3 pack of Deco PX50's.

The plan was to run the X50-5G as a 5G router to provide internet and to have one PX50 within good WiFi range of it to mesh. Then the two other PX50s were to be put in other buildings to mesh over the powerline connection (same electricity circuit - older TL-WPA powerline adapters successfully created networks over the circuit).

I got the network set up in one room and everything seemed OK but then I moved the two PX50s out of WiFi range of the main network and they refused to connect over the powerlines. While trying to debug it I read that one of the PX50s needs to be the "main" node. Changing it to this completely broke everything (since I need the X50-5G to be the main node so that it can get the 5g internet).

Is it possible to set things up as I wanted or do I need to return the PX50s and do something different?

Options
3 Reply
Re:X50-5G and PX50 - how do I use the powerline backhaul
2023-11-25 22:47:40

After reading a bit more on the forum I had a little success by setting the "Connection Preference" for one of the PX50's (A) to point to another PX50 (B)

I did get the PLC + WiFi icon on the connection for one of the map showed the correct setup after rebooting the network.

However, everything went wrong again when I tried to add the third PX50 (C) and set it's connection preference to (B) then rebooted the network. Now nothing is connected via PLC.

It seems insane it's not possible to get this working - when I did have the PLC connection then it was nice and fast and stable but you don't seem to be able to hint strongly enough to the devices to use the powerline.

Am I missing something or do I need to return the PX50s?

Options
2023-11-28 22:59:06

The PX50's are packaged up and ready to return. The X50-5G is working fine with the older powerline adapters (WPA 8631P) which I was planning to sell...

Options
2023-11-29 02:49:39 - last edited 2023-11-29 07:50:07

@vitch 

Hi, Thank you very much for the further update. By the way, I also received your emailsmiley.

Deco PX50 is required to work as the main Deco if we need the Powerline Backhaul properly among satellite PX50 units. While for your case, Deco X50-5G has to be the main Deco since the internet source here is 5G NSA/SA mobile service. So I think compared with PX50, The powerline adapter TL-WPA8631P KIT is indeed a better choice.

Best regards.

Options