No long term data on Tapo app

2023-11-25 09:02:44 - last edited 2023-11-28 10:07:27
Model: Tapo T310   Tapo T315   Tapo H100  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.7.0 build 230424

Hi all,

I've built a system with 3 T315 and 6 T310. Day to day they work really well, the temperature and humidity alerts trigger push notifications if they go out of range etc. 

What I am struggling with is long term data saving. If I open the tapo app on the house WiFi, I get a graph of the previous 24 hours. If I go to "view all", I get data for the past 24 hours, but if I select month or year it shows "There is no data yet" (I've left it for about 6 weeks to see if the data appeared in the month view after a month, but it hasn't!). Also, if I go to the download/email a data backup it emails me an empty dataset (file contains row headings only)

Separately, when I'm out of the house on phone data (and off the local network) I can see the most recent data point, but no access to the 24 hour data, literally just the last number the app has seen. Is this correct behaviour (as in should I have to set up a VPN or equiv in to the local network to see it?) 

Many thanks, and let me know if you need more info. Firmware version above is for the T315, I haven't added the T310 or H100.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:No long term data on Tapo app-Solution
2023-11-27 23:49:13 - last edited 2023-11-28 10:07:27

@Wayne-TP 

Went to try your suggestions in order this evening. Firstly looked at the pihole logs, and yes, it was blocking a call to a tplink iot URL every 30 seconds or so. I have whitelisted that address and it has now started populating the monthly and yearly data sections and I can access the data when not connected to the house internal network.

Thank you!

Wayne-TP wrote

@TV_Repairman 

The devices might disconnect from the cloud server. Do they have normal internet access from router? You may want to check if there are any settings on the router that may block their internet connection, such as access control (blacklist/whitelist), or parental control. 

What's the signal strength of the sensors? (App ->Device's Settings ->Device Info ->Signal Strength)

Restart the Tapo hub to reconnect the sensors and monitor whether the data will be recorded later. 

Do you have other devices that connect to the same Tapo hub? Can you control them remotely?

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:No long term data on Tapo app
2023-11-25 23:51:18 - last edited 2023-11-25 23:52:12

@TV_Repairman 

No, that is not normal. I also have T310 and T315 sensors and I can see the history values when I'm not in the local network.

By the way, it would be nice to have all the data available hourly in all the past days. If I want to compare the values from today with how they were 7 days ago, or 1 month ago... it should be possible.

Options
2023-11-27 09:08:51

@Nuno00 , thanks, I thought that would be the case. Hopefully someone will know some potential causes for data to not be stored/if stored not displayed. 

Does anyone know if the data are saved locally on the hub, or on a tp link server?

Options
2023-11-27 09:55:56

@TV_Repairman 

The devices might disconnect from the cloud server. Do they have normal internet access from router? You may want to check if there are any settings on the router that may block their internet connection, such as access control (blacklist/whitelist), or parental control. 

What's the signal strength of the sensors? (App ->Device's Settings ->Device Info ->Signal Strength)

Restart the Tapo hub to reconnect the sensors and monitor whether the data will be recorded later. 

Do you have other devices that connect to the same Tapo hub? Can you control them remotely?

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
2023-11-27 11:30:23 - last edited 2023-11-27 11:31:16

@Wayne-TP thank you

I also have P100 and P110 sockets, those I can control and I can see the P110 data outside the local network. However, I think they are WiFi connected rather than through the hub?

I do have a DNS ad blocker (pi-hole) which feels like could well be the cause here. Is there a specific address/domain (tp link server side) that I should white list?

Options
Re:No long term data on Tapo app-Solution
2023-11-27 23:49:13 - last edited 2023-11-28 10:07:27

@Wayne-TP 

Went to try your suggestions in order this evening. Firstly looked at the pihole logs, and yes, it was blocking a call to a tplink iot URL every 30 seconds or so. I have whitelisted that address and it has now started populating the monthly and yearly data sections and I can access the data when not connected to the house internal network.

Thank you!

Wayne-TP wrote

@TV_Repairman 

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 609

Replies: 5

Related Articles