Best options for my Home Network

2023-12-04 10:32:55 - last edited 2023-12-04 12:49:29
Model: Deco XE75  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hi,

I bought this XE75 3-pack a week ago and I am very happy with it.

It is replacing a central Unify Access Point which was doing OK but not great.

I think is a 'EU V1' by reading the on the box and it updated to latest firmware level during installation.

The situation is this - a House with only one floor.

The Internet connection is received in one end of the house (Living Room) where I have placed the supplied Router from my ISP.

25-30 meters to the other end of the house where my FPS playing Teen is located - naturally he is priority one :)

Right now the Main Deco is in the living room.

The second is in the kitchen - which is in the middle of the house and where I had my Unify access point - not cabled right now

The third is in the Study connected to the Gaming computer (which I have made 'Prioritized')

He is getting quite good performance in the study even with the Wifi going through two walls at 25-30 meters distance to the Main Deco.

However the signal is just 'Medium' as you can see so I wonder what would be the best option to choose.

1 - Keep the setup as it is but connect the kitchen Deco to the Main Deco in the Living room (= Using Ehternet Backhaul)

2 - Use Ethernet connection from ISP Router to the Kitchen Deco and make it Main and having the other two as Wifi

3 - Setup the Kitchen Deco as AP cabled from the Main Deco (How would the other two Decos function if I do that?)

I know a cabled connection to the study would be best but that is not possible - so please advice.

Second question is that I have left just about all settings to default - is there anything i should consider changing?

Thanks a lot.

Options
10 Reply
Re:Bets options for my Home Network
2023-12-04 12:34:05

@SteenTP 

I will be able to give you recommendations, but for that I need you to make screenshot of Update Deco page in Deco app and share it here. This will tell me if you have X75, XE75, XE75 Pro and, more importantly, exact firmware version. Different firmware versions have different features and to recommend something I need to know what features your Deco mesh supports.

Also, you said you left all settings default in Deco mesh. How about ISP supplied Router: 1) Have you made any changes in it, and nore specifically 2) have you turned off WiFi in ISP Router or not?

Options
Re:Bets options for my Home Network
2023-12-04 12:47:53

Sorry, it is XE75 - not X75.

No changes to the ISP router that I can remember - Wifi is turned off though.

Options
Re:Best options for my Home Network
2023-12-04 14:46:47 - last edited 2023-12-04 14:52:46

@SteenTP 

Thanks. I have everything I need now. Below are my recommendations and please follow them in their exact order.

1. Configure Deco mesh to run in Access Point mode: Switching a Deco to Access Point (AP) Mode

Because you use ISP Router in its default configuration, you do not need Deco router features. Switching Deco mesh to AP mode will disable them all and free CPU cycles of Deco units to improve overall WiFi performance.

This will also eliminate possibility of double NAT, which could become an issue for gaming consoles.

On the other hand, this will remove device prioritization, but unless home network is highly congested prioritization does not do much. I always recommend AP mode for home network like yours, but if there are issues it is easy to switch Deco mesh back to its default router mode.

After configuring Deco mesh in AP mode, wait till home network settles down, devices reconnect and everything seem in order. Everything should reconnect on its own, but you might need to reboot one or two stubborn devices to force them connect to Deco mesh running in AP mode.

2. Using "Connection Preference" feature connect Study Deco to Kitchen Deco, see Part 1 of the following document: How to select a preferred signal source on the Deco App

After you've done that, in Deco app under "Show Map" you should see: Study Deco<-->Kitchen Deco<-->Living Room

This will improve WiFi backhaul signal quality from Study Deco and should improve overall performance of device(s) connected to Study Deco. The WiFi speed on these devices may not increase, but stability of their connectivity should.

3. At this point, if everything works fine, you may just stop. If you want additional improvement, this is when you connect Kitchen Deco to main Deco with Ethernet cable. This will deliver you the best possible Deco mesh setup at your house, but I don't know how much effort will be required to lay that Ethernet cable. It will be for you to decide if the effort worth it, after you've completed steps 1 and 2.

Options
2023-12-04 15:50:43

Thanks a lot for the answer.

I am not sure I understand it completely though.

I already have a cable ready by the Kitchen Deco from my previous solution so I expect I plug that in and connect to ISP router ?

It would make sense to have the optimal placed Deco cabled right ?

What is the result exactly ?
My devices will still attach to any of the Decos based on what ? (or do they all seek the cabled AP)

Will they remain at the Deco they initially get assigned to if you dont change it manually (when mesh no longer operational) 

If Kitchen Deco is cabled to ISP router, You expect better performance as an AP compared to making Kitchen Deco Main Deco and keep the Mesh ?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to understand the logic :)

Options
2023-12-04 16:32:09 - last edited 2023-12-04 16:32:23

@SteenTP 

Yes, I know, that's a lot of stuff to digest. To explain in details it'll take a lot of typing. If it can put you at ease, I am helping you to configure your Deco mesh the way I run mine for about 3 years already. In a house with demanding members of household who won't tolerate WiFi interruptions.

The objective of my recommendations is to maximize your Deco mesh performance, improve stability of WiFi link between Deco using WiFi backhaul which will improve quality of Internet connection for devices connected to Deco mesh.

So, if I understand you correctly, you have Ethernet cable already which goes to Kitchen Deco. On the other side of that cable, you can connect it to either ISP Router or to Main Deco. If I understand that correctly, we can use that.

Step 1 remains the same: configure Deco mesh to run in AP mode.

Step 2 remains the same: configure Study Deco to connect to Kitchen Deco.

Step 3 might need to change slightly, but let's finish with steps 1 and 2. Then, we can discuss how to link Kitchen Deco with Ethernet cable: to Main Deco or to ISP Router directly.

Options
2023-12-06 11:21:38

@Alexandre. 

I have not switched to AP mode yet as I am not sure about the implications.

I have read all I could find in the Forum but I basically still have the questions I asked earlier.

I have however wired the Kitchen Deco to the ISP router and made it Main.

The sattelite Decos connect to Kitchen Deco via Wifi.

Study Deco performance has improved and its selecting Kitchen Deco on its own.

The Study numbers look something like this:

Performance with Unify AP:  80-140 Mbps 

Performance with initial Deco setup:  300-350 Mbps

Performance with Kitchen Deco as Main: 475-550 Mbps

And Ping is down to 7-8 so.... our gamer is very happy :)

I might try the AP setup when I learn more about it.

Also considering skipping the Living room Deco altogether as not much trafic goes to that one anyway.  

I assume that would simplify 'logistics'.

Options
2023-12-06 12:28:35

@SteenTP 

There is more than one solution to every problem. As long as you are happy with what you have, no need to make additional changes. Your call.

I can think of three reasons why you may wish to switch Deco mesh to AP mode. If they do not apply to your situation, running Deco mesh in its default Router mode should be fine.

The reasons:

1. If for whatever reason Main Deco can't handle the load. If that happens, it'll manifest itself in lost packets and ping spikes. When it happens, you'll definitely hear about it from your gamer and when you do, switching Deco mesh to AP mode is the first step in troubleshooting;

2. If device or an app on your home network experiences "double NAT" symptoms (google it). This commonly impacts gaming consoles and VPN apps, but it appears it spared your gamer's PC. In case in the future "double NAT" does create issues for apps or gaming, switching Deco mesh to AP mode is the easiest way to address that.

3. If you decided you want Living Room Deco (re)establish Ethernet link to ISP router, which will improve Living Room Deco WiFi stability and deliver same WiFi speeds as your Kitchen Deco. In AP mode you can have both Main Deco and Satellite Deco hardwired to ISP Router. 

Options
2023-12-06 13:17:29

@Alexandre. 

Thanks for all your help!

I will probably experiment with AP sooner or later - especially if a new Firmware update creates havoc in the future :)

It was a good piece of information that you can have both Main Deco and Satellite Deco hardwired to ISP Router in AP mode.

I guess its only in Mesh mode there is a risk of a loop - In AP mode I would for sure keep my Living Room Deco (wired).

Options
3 weeks ago

In your scenario, tedhomecare !where you're aiming to optimize the performance of your Deco system within a single-floor house, each option has its merits. Option 1, utilizing Ethernet backhaul, offers the advantage of a stable and high-speed connection between the Deco units, which can enhance overall network performance. This setup would involve connecting the kitchen Deco to the main Deco in the living room using Ethernet cables.

Option 2 involves utilizing the Ethernet connection from your ISP router to the kitchen Deco, making it the main unit. This can be effective if the kitchen area serves as a central location for your network and can provide strong coverage to the rest of the house.

Option 3, configuring the kitchen Deco as an access point (AP) connected to the main Deco, is another viable solution. In this setup, the kitchen Deco would receive its signal from the main Deco via Ethernet, effectively extending the Wi-Fi coverage.

Regarding settings, while leaving them at default can work fine in many cases, it's worth considering adjustments to optimize performance. This could include checking for firmware updates, adjusting Wi-Fi channels to minimize interference, and ensuring robust security settings to protect your network.

Ultimately, the best option for your home network depends on factors such as the layout of your house, the locations of your devices, and your specific performance requirements. Evaluating these factors and experimenting with different configurations can help you determine the most suitable setup for your needs.

Options
2 weeks ago
Great insights! It's refreshing to see such thorough options for optimizing home network performance. Experimenting with different setups can truly make a difference in connectivity. Also, kudos for highlighting the importance of security settings. For anyone needing similar attention to detail in their home setup, Ted Home Care could be a fantastic resource.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 479

Replies: 10

Related Articles