Timelimits not taking background updates into consideration #Parental Controls

2023-12-27 03:12:15
Tags: #Parental Control #Feature Request #Access Control #Apps contributing to time limit
Model: Archer AX73  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I recently purchased the Archer AX73 and a subscription to the parental controls through the Tether app.  It was all very easy to set up with my sons' devices (iPads, Phones, etc).  We purchased the router to have greater control over the amount of time that our children are using on their devices (more importantly the doom scrolling on social media and YouTube). 

With our Master-11, we have allocated a couple of hours a day during the holiday period to get his 'fix'.   After only 5 to 10 minutes he is complaining that he is being shut out of internet access.  On investigation, we have discovered that the iOS devices (especially iCloud:  gateway.icloud.com, p153-contacts.icloud.com, etc) are performing activities in the background even when the devices aren't being used that are taking up the internet time.  I have watched this over a couple of weeks before writing this and can advise that the amount of time, frequency, and when the activities happen aren't always the same.  I still want the parental control to give him a couple of hours but I don't want to have to be having to constantly check and use the 'reward' function to give him extra time. 

Does anyone have any ideas on how to allow these sites or services to continue to have ongoing access without this access adding to his allotted time? 

He has no control over these activities as they are part of the iOS software and aren't particular to an App etc.  Additionally,  can I add Apps/programs to a whitelist that doesn't add to his time?  I want him to have access to WhatsApp or Facetime to contact me at any time however if the 2-hour limit has been reached then this means that he can't contact me.  (He doesn't have a phone). 

Could you also advise if there is a community page for parents using Parental Controls? 

Thank you in advance.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Timelimits not taking background updates into consideration #Parental Controls
2023-12-28 03:37:01

@CaptDaz 

Hi, at this moment, we are unable to add websites/services/Apps/programs to whitelist that doesn't add to the allowed internet time, we will record your feedback and report to development team for evaluation.

In addition, currently for AX73, you could only configure or manage the HomeShield parental control on Tether App, but as you can see in this thread: Archer AX72 V1 New Firmware Supports Configuring HomeShield on Web UI, we have started to add the Homeshield features to web interface, I believe it will come to more models in the future, thus you could monitor new firmware update on your AX73 router.

Options