SORTA SOLVED: C9 WDS Issues (Nvidia Shield TV Pro)

2024-01-07 14:55:57 - last edited 2024-01-12 18:08:51
Model: Archer C9  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 4.1.0 Build 20160517 Rel. 35411

I am trying to extend the range of my Sagemcom 12 Box modem/router by using a C9 set up as a WDS bridge according to the guide. IE, move the IP of the C9 into the subnet of the root router, configure WDS, disable DHCP.

While my Android phone and my Chromebook connect to the C9 Wifi bridge without issue (using DHCP for auto-configuration), my Nvidia Shield TV Pro (2019 version) can't access the internet through the C9 Wifi bridge. If the Shield uses DHCP to configure the IP it doesn't get an IP, if it uses a static IP it winds up without internet access. In either case connecting to the C9 Wifi bridge does not complete with the normal notification that a connection was made succesfully with the Wifi network. Frustratingly, if I set up a mobile hotspot on my phone which uses the C9 Wifi bridge, the Shield can connect without an issue.

It appears to me that the Shield is simply not compatible with something the C9 is doing, but I don't know what and if the C9 can be configured differently to handle it. I would appreciate some thoughts and guidance.

Options
2 Reply
Re:C9 WDS Issues (Nvidia Shield TV Pro)
2024-01-10 12:45:56

I may be closing in on a solution:

When dealing with WDS bridge problems between a tp-link (C9) router and a Shield TV Pro, ensure different bands are utilized. Assign one band (2,4Ghz) for creating the WDS bridge with the main router and the other (5Ghz) for connecting devices to wifi. This resolves issues arising from conflicting bands in this specific setup.

Since making this change, the network simply uses basic DHCP and is fast and stable.

Options
Re:SOLVED: C9 WDS Issues (Nvidia Shield TV Pro)
2024-01-12 18:08:31

UPDATE

This is not a robust setup. I stress tested it by rebooting the bridge router and the bridged part of the network came apart. My guess is conflicting IP addresses due to poor tracking of IPs between the root and bridge router. Keep all IPs DHCP if you can, if not set all to static. Don't mix. Beyond that when there's instability you may need to reboot both the root router and (then?) the bridge router and wait a little. It seems to settle after a few minutes. After that it runs well, actually.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 229

Replies: 2

Related Articles