PX50 - How to force a unit to use the powerline as the backhaul connection.

2024-02-06 19:33:08 - last edited 2024-02-06 20:13:16
Model: Deco PX50  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.2.2 build 20231226

How to force a node to use PLC rather than wifi.
Since the most recent firmeware update they always use wifi even when there is a very weak signal.

Options
14 Reply
Re:PX50 - How to force a unit to use the powerline as the backhaul connection.
2024-02-07 07:46:31

@FHR 

Hi,  I don't think the firmware caused the failure of the Powerline Backhaul. Have you tried to restart the whole Mesh system?

If you temporarily remove one of the satellite PX50s next to the main PX50, will they be able to use Powerline Backhaul?

Firmware 1.2.2 could revert to 1.2.1 directly via web UI if needed.

Wait for your reply and best regards.

Options
2024-02-07 12:30:34

@David-TP 

Hi

I would refer you to this thread... https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/610798?sortDir=ASC&page=7

Prior to the most recent update, most of my Nodes indictaed that they were using PLC, now they all show WiFi, even though we live in a concrete house and the inability to have workable wifi was the reason to buy a mesh solution with PLC.

Further, one node is in a workshop over 60m from the house, and it now tries to use WiFi now.

So I would rather not have to factory reset the devices in the hope that such will correct the situaiton.

Options
2024-02-08 15:50:55 - last edited 2024-02-08 15:55:07

I followed the instructions as suggested  (factory reset everything and start again).

Indeed for a good hour all the Nodes showed PLC+Wifi, and all was good with the world.

Alas it did not last, now back to the old situation of they all use wifi, and even report the signal stregth as "weak". WHich was the whole point of wanting PLC.

Really need a setting in the App so we can choose the connection type, as your algorithim is not getting the right answer.

thanks

Angus

Options
2024-02-12 08:38:24

Here is a screen shot showing the stupidity of the current routing software.
The workshop is 40m away from the house but rather than use the power line, it ends up using the wifi.

Options
2024-02-13 09:48:27

Another day of video calls ruined by the dismal performance of the TP mesh.

Patience running out.

If TP can not acknowledge and clearly indicate when a fix/improvement for this behavior is coming, then all 5 DECOs are on their way back to Amazon.

Options
2024-02-14 13:36:49

@FHR I think it can be done with a custom firmware from TP link, they were able to give me a custom firmware to force Ethernet backhaul on one of my units. Oddly I'm also having the issues of the PLC dropping on my other unit, I'm guessing the debug firmware they gave me has the same features as the one you upgraded to built in.

Options
2024-02-15 11:38:08

@Alexmesh 

Hi Alex

Great to get some feedback, and some confirmation that I have not lost my sanity.

How did you manage to get 'custom' firmware, what communication path did you follow to get a real person inside TP to do something?

Options
2024-02-15 12:21:35

@FHR I'm having issues with the mesh crashing when mixing ethernet and powerline + wifi backhaul and it was part of the troubleshooting, TP link support sent it me during a remote support session after I started an email support case and showed them my forum thread.

Last night I power cycled the main deco unit by unplugging it from the wall and letting it boot up again and suddenly the PLC connection came back on the satellite unit, I had previously tried rebooting it via the app but it needed that power cycle to get it going again. I'm not holding my breath at this point that it's going to stay up without needing manually resetting again in future. Before that I had tried resetting the affected satellite unit and even using a pin inside the reset hole but that didn't work, I think they are a bit buggy when it comes to recovering from errors gracefully.

Options
2024-02-15 15:17:34

I think this sums it up, from the TP web site for contacting support.....
Notice anything about the email address.

Options
2024-02-15 15:51:11

@FHR Here's the UK address I used, not sure how helpful it is support.uk@tp-link.com 

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 827

Replies: 14

Related Articles