“Ethernet” doesn’t have a valid IP configuration

2024-02-10 10:17:32

Hello all

Trying to connect my home pc via an AV1000 and no success. Keep getting this error when troubleshooting. 

Have cabled my pc direct via my router which is on the end of another AV1000 and all fine, connects no problem.

Have tried multiple sockets around the house to no avail, even though the unit pairs successfully, all lights on, same result. Tried all the Cmd prompt ipconfig/release/reset flush dns approach. Same same. 

Help! 

Have run out of ideas.

Options
10 Reply
Re:“Ethernet” doesn’t have a valid IP configuration
2024-02-10 15:49:00
**UPDATE** I took my router upstairs and plugged it into the wall socket I’m trying to get working, as my pc connected to that downstairs, and I can connect up in the office with that. So it’s not an issue with the wall socket placement..
Options
2024-02-10 19:12:30

BobbyE wrote

**UPDATE** I took my router upstairs and plugged it into the wall socket I’m trying to get working, as my pc connected to that downstairs, and I can connect up in the office with that. So it’s not an issue with the wall socket placement..

@BobbyE 

Hi,

So, do you get a working connection via the AV1000 Powerline network or not?

Options
2024-02-10 19:23:48

@woozle hi there

so my set up is an AV1000 plugged into the main broadband box and an AV1000 plugged into my wifi router. This all works fine. 

Then I wanted to have a 3rd AV1000 feeding my office PC. This gives the error. In fact wherever I try that 3rd unit it pairs fine but no internet access. 

I moved my wifi router into the office and I can connect through that no problem so it's not a mains wiring issue. 

So in short I've tested the link between the broadband box and the office, all fine IF I use my wifi router. If I then take the cable out the router and go direct from the AV1000 into my PC, no go. 

odd. 

Options
2024-02-10 23:33:52 - last edited 2024-02-10 23:36:58

@BobbyE 

Ok, I see.

Is that "main broadband box" a complete Wi-Fi router in itself and you just added another Wi-Fi router via the AV1000 adapters?

In case it's not, do you remember if your Wi-Fi router needed to be specially set up to establish its Internet connection?

What I am getting at is that if the "main broadband box" was just sort of a modem and your Wi-Fi router established its Internet connection via PPPoE, then this setup of three AV1000's could not work.

By the way, how many Ethernet LAN ports does that main broadband box have?

Options
2024-02-11 00:18:03

@woozle Hi Woozle, the broadband box doesn't include wifi, it's the BT box where the network enters the house. On initial set up I plugged 1xAV1000 in to that, another in a separate room which then provided broadband to my providers supplied wifi router. That behaves fine and supplies multiple devices like Apple TV and my Hue Bridge no problem. 

That said, what you describe does seem to match my problem. 

One thing I don't understand is why the PC connects to the internet, but only via the AV1000 into the wifi router and then out to the PC, it won't connect directly from the AV1000.

thank you for the replies, very much appreciated. 

Options
2024-02-11 09:10:15

woozle wrote

@BobbyE 

By the way, how many Ethernet LAN ports does that main broadband box have?

@woozle only one lan connection 

Options
2024-02-11 15:04:10 - last edited 2024-02-11 15:05:56

@BobbyE 

Most broadband connections require some sort of user authentication or identification of a known device.

So, I suspect your Wi-Fi router is either establishing its connection to the Internet by using a username and password or the it is being identified by your Internet provider via its MAC address.

That means in order for your PC to connect to the Internet by itself (without the Wi-Fi router) it would have to use the same authentication/identification mechanism. You would have to log into the management GUI of the provider's Wi-Fi router to get an idea how it's being done in your case. (or check whether the documentation that came with your broadband Internet contains any clues)

But anyway, I doubt the end user is supposed to split the one connection (one Ethernet port) coming out of the BT box into multiple connections by means of a switch or a Powerline network. User devices must normally be connected via the Wi-Fi or the LAN ports of the router.

Options
2024-02-11 17:45:08

@woozle thank you for that info. 

So the router acts like a switch I'm assuming? It takes the single connection and gives you more. Is there a world where I can take an out from the wifi router into an AV1000 and pair that with the one for my PC?

Or am I barking up the wrong tree here?

Options
2024-02-11 18:56:18

@BobbyE 

The router acts as a router with a built-in switch. It takes the single connection and gives you more. If the router was replaced by a pure switch, then it would not work either.

BobbyE wrote

Is there a world where I can take an out from the wifi router into an AV1000 and pair that with the one for my PC?

Yes, that is actually the way TP-Link intended the AV1000's to be used.

But one thing is very important. You have to make sure that the two AV1000 for the connection between the BT box and the Wi-Fi router are paired separately from the other two AV1000 for the connection between the router and the computer. Otherwise it will disrupt your network.

Options
2024-02-11 20:30:13

@woozle 

Understood. This doesn't make sense now. I tested the system with 2 old powerline adapters and it works fine, so I've ordered 1 more AV1000 to replace the 2 old units with. 

Fingers crossed 🤞 will be spot on now. 

Out of curiosity if I add a switch in AFTER the router I can achieve more connections that way?

many thanks for all the help by the way. 

Options