Configuring ER605 for DDNS using Afraid(dot)org

2024-02-21 18:43:36 - last edited 2024-02-22 02:55:26
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.2.4 Build 20240119 Rel.44368

Hello,

I created this thread in order to help people who intend to use freedns(dot)afraid(dot)org to reach their local network. @Hoamboy 's answer on this issue helped me a lot to solve the issue however isn't solely enough for this particular DDNS service. I also benefited from the explanation in Afraid(dot)org.

https://freedns.afraid.org/guide/dd-wrt/

https://freedns.afraid.org/dynamic/

The only thing that triggers DDNS to update your WAN IP in Afraid's system is the "Direct URL" to be accessed by ANY device with that particular WAN IP. You can enter the URL in browser and check to verify. That means you don't need to enter username, password nor domain name correctly in router. The only thing you need to fill correctly is "Update URL" because the "Direct URL" that Afraid provides contains all the information it needs in order to update WAN IP. However router rejects savings changes when you paste Direct URL provided as it is. Here is how you should edit Direct URL in order your router would accept:

afraid.org direct url

For the router, I put for all "[USERNAME],[PASSWORD],[DOMAIN]" inside the URL and for Afraid, I put all of them before "@" because it doesn't affect anything. As @Hoamboy said "The update URL needs to be EXACTLY this one (do NOT fill variables with real values!)". The part after "?" will be generated only for you and the one I pasted above is of course randomly modified for security reasons. So only the part in red will be different in your "Update URL" section in router.

I hope this helps anyone.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Configuring ER605 for DDNS using Afraid(dot)org-Solution
2024-02-22 02:28:04 - last edited 2024-02-22 02:28:10

Hi @cihanc 

Thanks for your post and this would be helpful for others! Great work.

It mainly uses the API from them. It's a different way to do it.

This guide also mentions freeDNS and its config with the traditional method.

Troubleshooting - Custom DDNS Is Not Working

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
1 Reply
Re:Configuring ER605 for DDNS using Afraid(dot)org-Solution
2024-02-22 02:28:04 - last edited 2024-02-22 02:28:10

Hi @cihanc 

Thanks for your post and this would be helpful for others! Great work.

It mainly uses the API from them. It's a different way to do it.

This guide also mentions freeDNS and its config with the traditional method.

Troubleshooting - Custom DDNS Is Not Working

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 140

Replies: 1

Related Articles