Streaming Movies from NAS Drive to Plex

2024-02-22 17:16:47
Model: Deco X55  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.4.1

Hi

I have a SSK Cloud NAS drive that I keep my movies on. Is it possible to network it to the Plex app on my TV via my Deco X55? In Plex I have added the IP address for the NAS drive and my Deco, but neither work.

Thanks in advance,

Rich

Options
7 Reply
Re:Streaming Movies from NAS Drive to Plex
2024-02-22 18:25:02 - last edited 2024-02-22 18:26:00

There's a lot of potential configuration issues, from firewall (on your NAS) to Plex server setup. I'd err more towards asking on a Plex forum as it's unlikely to be an issue with the router itself, especially as it's on the LAN side.

One thing to check, you've installed Plex server on the NAS, I assume?

Options
2024-02-22 19:01:11

@richpriest My NAS drive isn't great, but it does what I need. It doesn't have many options, so not sure if I can access firewall settings. I'm not sure if putting the Plex server on it will work. Obviously I can put the software on there, but I don't think I'll be able to open it from the drive. I'll try the Plex forum as well. 

Options
2024-02-22 19:10:22
Ok, Plex is a server-client system, so the Plex software you've installed communicates with a Plex server to tell it what you have. You seem to be trying to use it in a way that VLC or Kodi clients would be better suited as they can read network shares.
Options
2024-02-22 19:35:30

@richpriest I've been using the Plex server on my Mac, which is on the same network as the NAS drive. I can link the files via my Mac, but I want to be able to do it directly from the NAS drive. 

Options
2024-02-22 19:40:56 - last edited 2024-02-22 19:41:19

So you have two options with what you have currently:

A) Install Plex server on the NAS and have the Plex client connect to that

B) Attach the media shares from the NAS to the Mac's Plex server's media library, and have the Plex clients connect to the Mac. You'll need the Mac switched on when you want to use Plex for this option to work.

Options
2024-02-22 19:43:20

@richpriest Ok thank you for your help. I'll give it a go. 

Options
2024-02-22 19:47:40
There is a potential for another third option, but it depends on whether your NAS supports it, and that is DLNA. It's an industry standard that allows streaming mediafrom a network device to another. You'd need a DLNA client instead of Plex (as I don't believe the client supports DLNA - although the server side does) like Kodi or VLC. This does remove the Plex features like watchlists, etc.
Options