WiFi disconnects when multiple devices are active

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2024-02-27 20:40:51
Model: Archer C80  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.13.2 Build 230824 Rel.74702n(5255)

Hello

Ever since I've updated to the recent FW version, I'm facing the following issue:

Multiple devices are connected to WiFi: laptop, phone1, phone2.

Watching videos on my laptop. When some internet activity starts on the phone1 (e.g. video playing, apps downloading for update, etc) the WiFi disconnects for every device. This is a bit random but with downloading files, e.g. for an app update, I have been able to reproduce it every time.

This is not the Internet disappearing; this is the WiFi network disconnecting and reconnecting in about 5–10 seconds.

I believe this is the same issue as here: Archer C80 - wifi keep disconnecting - Home Network Community (tp-link.com).

I have tried to optimize settings and to reset the router to defaults, which didn't help. I cannot revert the firmware version.

Thanks for any help.

Options
6 Reply
Re:WiFi disconnects when multiple devices are active
2024-02-28 09:26:58

@OddGentleman 

Hi, there are usually only three client devices, right? does the issue happen only when a specific client device starts to use internet activity, or any second client device?

Please also let us know if you have any other network devices in the network such as access points or extenders.

You mentioned that you've tried to optimize the settings, did you disable smart connect, try changing WiFi channel and channel width?

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. TL-WA3001 Supports EasyMesh, Speed Limit, Guest Network in AP Mode and/or Multi-SSID Mode. If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2024-02-28 12:30:33

@Sunshine Hello!

Thanks for your reply.

I have 3 to 4 devices connected at a time. Any device can cause this issue. For example, on the laptop, downloading a game on Steam or a large file can cause this.

As such, I would say any download on any device can cause this. This applies to as little activity as a 100-MB app update on the phone. For example, I started updating 25 apps on the phone, and the WiFi dropped after any other app download, about 10 times in a row.

I have Smart Connect disabled, and all my devices are on the 5Hz network. There are no other 5Hz networks around that could cause interference.

I do not have any additional access points or extenders besides the router itself.

Options
2024-02-29 08:09:47 - last edited 2024-02-29 08:10:11

I went to the router to watch it's lights. It turns out the router is rebooting when I start the download. I reproduced this again from the first try by starting to download a 1GB file. In a second, all the lights on the router went off.

I would be have very happy if there is a solution to this which does not involve sending the router into service/replacement. 

Options
2024-02-29 09:04:25

@OddGentleman 

Hi, thank you very much for the update.

For automatic rebooting issue, please try the beta firmware provided in this thread and let us know if it resolves the problem: Archer C80v1&v2.2/C64v1/C6v4 Restarting Randomly 

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. TL-WA3001 Supports EasyMesh, Speed Limit, Guest Network in AP Mode and/or Multi-SSID Mode. If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2024-03-03 13:55:25

@Sunshine Thanks for showing me that thread. Sadly, beta firware didn't help at all

Options
2024-03-04 05:55:22

@OddGentleman 

To assist you efficiently, I've forwarded your case to the TP-Link support engineers who will contact you with your registered email address later. Please pay attention to your email box for follow-up.

Options