Pre-purchase questions for optimal network planning

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2024-02-28 08:17:21 - last edited 2024-02-29 00:57:17
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Dear Community,

I'm planning to completely redesign my home network based on Deco X60s (if you don't advise me to base it on another tp product) and would like to know if anyone has been in a similar situation and could give me some pointers on how to create the "optimal" network without overkill that might make things worse or slower.

Since the ISP-provided modem/router is, well, suboptimal, I'm planning to use it as a modem only, disable its wireless capabilities, and simply connect various tp products to it via LAN.

The router is on the ground floor, and two Ethernet cables run from it to the first floor, ending in the same room. One cable is used to connect a PC, the other for a powerline adapter. The plan: Connect an X60 to the first cable, connect the PC to the X60 via cable, and connect a tp powerline adapter to the second cable, so that you can connect different devices to the powerline to relieve the WLAN. Alternatively, connect the PC via Ethernet to the ISP-provided router as it is now.

There is also a second building, about 10 meters away from the main building, that is connected to the same power meter that should be supplied with WLAN, and should be a kind of bridge to even more distant parts of the property. I could mount an outdoor unit there (X50 Outdoor?) on the wall outside. The question is whether the best way to connect this device to the mesh is via WLAN (if it is strong enough) or via the powerline mentioned above.

If I understand all the posts, FAQs, etc. I read correctly, the Decos themselves decide which technology (Powerline, Ethernet or WLAN) to use "internally" for the communication mesh between themselves to provide the best connection to the different devices, and for these devices there is only one network (or maybe a second one for guests).

Any experience reports for similar cases would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and best regards

Frank

Options
2 Reply
Re:Pre-purchase questions for optimal network planning
2024-02-29 07:03:10

@fstAT 

Hi, May I know how many Deco X60s do you have?

Can I have the model number of your TP-Link powerline adapters?

Usually, we would suggest:

Ethernet Backhaul>Powerline Backhaul>Wi-Fi Backhaul

With the current devices you already have, you can run a simple test:

If there are 2*Deco X60,

*A Deco outdoor will work quite like the satellite Deco X20 in map 2.

*The black bold line means Ethernet connection.

You could test which way gives a better speed for the satellite Deco X60.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
Re:Pre-purchase questions for optimal network planning
2024-02-29 09:29:40

@David-TP Hello, David,

thanks a lot for your detailed answer. I posted my questions after researching a lot but before buying the devices, so I am totally free in my decisions at the moment. For me it is important to buy a bundle of devices that perfectly combine indoor and outdoor, Ethernet, PowerLine and WLAN - if that means to buy a few devices more and/or to spend a little bit more money on better models, that is totally OK with me. A good infrastructure and satisfied family members ("Daaaad? Are you stressing the WLAN right now?" etc) are really worth the price and effort. ;-).

Kind regards,

Frank

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 231

Replies: 2

Related Articles