Pre purchase Extending WiFi & Ethernet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-07-29 14:29:47 - last edited 2020-07-31 09:06:12

Hope you can help -  sorry for mixing ethernet with wifi - my first attempt at a posting so please forgive an octogenarian.

We have a Virgin Super Hub with ethernet provision to  TV via Virigin Tivo box  using Netgear PL1000 1VGUKS - sadly no Wifi - connected via two "separate" ring main circuits. There are 3 ring main circuits in the house with a common circuit box connected to the electricity meter. Seems to have work OK for some years.

Hope to replace or reluctantly supplement the PL1000 system  to provide ethernet and wifi a Wifi and some additiional  Ethernet throughout the house.

So hopefully, a single unit at  computer end for mains conducted transmissions and single units at the extremes (Please note ring mains situation)  for wifi and ethernet, All with 13 amp through plug facilitieds. If easier would be "happy/prepared" to retain the PL1000 in position at the computer end.  One retailer suggestion would be the purchase of two packs each containing one transmit unit and one reception unit making one mains transmit unit an expensive reduncancy - not happy with that.

With much thanks for help in anticipation.

GriffsGriff

Options
3 Reply
Re:Pre purchase Extending WiFi & Ethernet
2020-07-31 09:20:43

@GriffsGriff 

Hi, for your issue, please take the below answer as reference.

From your description, you may need Powerline units which can provide both Ethernet and Wi-Fi connection for your clients, right?

I have also checked the device PL1000 1VGUKS which is also powerline unit.

Meanwhile, I see you talked about three circuits in your whole house. I guess you may need powerline units.

Generally speaking,  as long as these circuits are connected to the same electrical meter, our powerline devices should be working. There may be some slight rate attenuation between different circuits, and the attenuation value depends on the specific electric wiring system.

We do have the powerline units which can provide both Ethernet and Wi-Fi connection.

I suggest you can have a check from our official website based on your region first. https://www.tp-link.com/home-networking/powerline/

And take the instruction to check how to choose powerline units.https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1477/

Note: The unit named like TL-PA4010 KIT doesn't have Wi-Fi function. The unit named TL-WPA4220 KIT have Wi-Fi function. W means wireless

After you check our powerline units by yourself and you can ask us for more detailed information about the unit you like.

We would be very glad to help you.

Good day!

Options
2020-07-31 09:28:40

@Solla-topee 

Thanks for your helpful response, hope to check things during the day although having to go out to get parts to sort out my wwife's PC. So, it may need tomorrow as well.

Bests wishes

GriffsGriff

Options
2020-08-13 10:54:34

@GriffsGriff 

Apologies for slow response, other important matters intervened so, taking much longer than the anticipated "tomorrow".

After checking your suggestions, and the TL-WPA 4220 T, 3 pack (1 sender connected to Virgin Super Hub 3 plus two remote receivers - 1 downstairs extension at rear of house and 1 upstairs) seems just right for the job but, no through 13 amp socket. And, would it adequately serve the typical items mentioned in the final paragraph.

Then I checked the TL - WPA 8630P kit with through(?) socket, 1 sender connected to the Virgin Hub but only 1 remote receiver, need two receivers perhaps more later. 

I assume that WPA 8630 plus an additional remote unit would do the job as our wifi needs (mobile phone wifi and new small/medium around £400  laptop wifi would be adequately served at the rear room and upstairs. If the 4220 T does the job and is easy to set up, then we do have a lot of double 13amp sockets around the house, exxcept close to the Hub 3..

Finally, I'm hoping that we can remove the Netgear PL000-1VGUKS and send it back to VIrgin and we'll have adequate Wifi & LAN where needed. Again, sorry for the delay in this response and again thanks for your very helpful earlier reply. 

GriffsGriff

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 370

Replies: 3