Help required - Deco M5 AC1300 / recently updated to from EE 5GEE Router to full fibre.

Help required - Deco M5 AC1300 / recently updated to from EE 5GEE Router to full fibre.

2024-03-11 14:10:28
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi Guys,

I've recently updated my internet from a very expensive 5G EE Gigacube to BRSK Full Fibre and wasn't sure if I needed to update my Deco to be able to be compatible with similar speeds over wifi.

My laptop connected with a Cat8 ethernet cable is reaching speeds of 931.66 mbps download / 935.57 upload (which is great compared to what I had at double the cost!).

However, when using my Deco for Wifi I'm only getting around 517 mbps download / 943 upload - would you advise updating the Deco system to a newer model or is it how I've got it set up currently? (I'm not very techy so that might be the issue, with how I've currently got it configerated).  

Currently, I've set it up as follows; 5Ghz Network / Operating mode - Access Point / Fast roaming & Beamforming - enabled.

Let me know your thoughts, would upgrading my Deco give me a similar speed or can I just enhance my current system?

Cheers 

Options
11 Reply
Re:Help required - Deco M5 AC1300 / recently updated to from EE 5GEE Router to full fibre.
2024-03-11 14:37:25 - last edited 2024-03-11 15:32:06

Woodsnasty wrote

My laptop connected with a Cat8 ethernet cable is reaching speeds of 931.66 mbps download / 935.57 upload (which is great compared to what I had at double the cost!).

However, when using my Deco for Wifi I'm only getting around 517 mbps download / 943 upload - would you advise updating the Deco system to a newer model or is it how I've got it set up currently? (I'm not very techy so that might be the issue, with how I've currently got it configerated).  

@Woodsnasty 

You didn't say that, but I am guessing you have gigabit Internet link now.

Something wrong in how speed test app reported WiFi speed for Deco M5. Download is correct, 530Mbps is the fastest I ever got from M5 in almost ideal conditions. Upload is not correct, Deco M5 can never deliver 943Mbps over WiFi. It can deliver same 530Mbps max on upload.

First, I would recommend you try different speed test app. If you are getting such incorrect results with what you use, you would not know the real speed. Recommended speed test app is Speedtest by Ookla. They have app for Android, iPhone and even for Windows on desktop. Try Ookla Speedtest app. The correct speed test app should report approximately 500Mbps for both WiFi download and for upload, with Deco M5 and gigabit Internet link. 

---------------

Then, you have to decide if you want/need faster WiFi speeds. At my house, I have gigabit Internet link, but I decided to stay with M5s. It is because all bandwidth demanding systems in my house are hardwired, such as file server, desktops, etc. I use WiFi for smartphones and tablets only. They don't need speeds faster than what Deco M5 can deliver. I can tell, based on feedback of members of my household.

I suggest you just wait few weeks and decide for yourself. Yes, it is dissapointing speedtest app on your smartphone can't show you gigabit download/upload speeds, but other than that do you feel there are issues with how fast your WiFi Internet is? Most Web sites won't allow you downloads faster than 100Mbps, even 4K video streaming consumes way less than 100Mbps per device.

If you decided you do want faster WiFi speeds, natural and reasonably budget friendly upgrade would be to WiFi6 capable Deco mesh. To clarifly, Deco M5 is WiFi5, it can't deliver gigabit speeds. WiFi6 capable Main Deco can. For upgrade, I would recommend Deco X50 or X55 models. Both have similar specs, but on Amazon could be found at substantially different prices (one could be on sale and another - not). Get one that costs less.

Options
Re:Help required - Deco M5 AC1300 / recently updated to from EE 5GEE Router to full fibre.
2024-03-11 14:40:48

@Woodsnasty 

>5Ghz Network / Operating mode - Access Point 

One more thing: how many Deco M5 do you have and how are they connected to each other and to ISP Router? Are they hardwired to each other (to ISP Router) or do they use WiFi backhaul?

Options
2024-03-11 15:10:39

@Alexandre. Thanks for your advice. 

I've checked speeds on Ookla and they are as you mentioned 506 download / 508 upload - yes I have gigabit Internet. 

The current set-up is x2 M5 main - The main one in the office, hardwired to the router. Then a 2nd is downstairs in the lounge which is connected on wifi to the main one in the office. 

That is the issue really, the Deco Downstairs does not have anywhere near the same speeds (signal strength is good) but speeds are 50.4 download / 25.7 upload and this one is used for streaming for the TV.

Any suggestions to enhance the speed downstairs?

Options
2024-03-11 15:30:29 - last edited 2024-03-11 15:50:40

@Woodsnasty 

You should expect to lose 50% of speed for Satellite Deco, it is limitation of WiFi mesh technology. You Main Deco delivers about 500Mbps, with proper placement and good signal Satellite Deco should deliver 200-250Mbps. 

Getting 50/25Mbps is too low for Satellite Deco.

This is a different problem and the one that needs to be dealt with first. WiFi6 is more sensitive for signal interference than WiFi5, meaning if you just replace M5s with X50/X55 without tuning your current mesh performance, you might just waste money and get even worse results.

You said backhaul signal is good, but just to be sure, please share screenshot of top part of Satellite Deco page in Deco app, example:

Also, connect laptop to Satellite M5 with Ethernet cable and run speed test on laptop. This will measure actual speed of WiFi backhaul link between Satellite Deco and Main Deco. 

Please share these speed results and I'll think what else to suggest.

Options
2024-03-11 16:00:05

@Alexandre. 

Screenshot 2024-03-11 at 15.57.38.jpeg

Options
2024-03-11 16:03:54

@Alexandre. 

Thanks mate - On the last section "connect laptop to Satellite M5 with Ethernet cable and run speed test on laptop. This will measure actual speed of WiFi backhaul link between Satellite Deco and Main Deco"

Do you mean to connect my laptop with ethernet cable to the Deco M5 downstairs in the lounge to test the actually speed of this unit?

I'll do that shortly and let you know, as it is strange as you mentioned - good signal but not the speed results you would expect!

Thanks 

Options
2024-03-11 16:24:50

@Woodsnasty 

Woodsnasty wrote

@Alexandre. 

Screenshot 2024-03-11 at 15.57.38.jpeg

Please re-attach the screenshot. Use "Click to upload pictures" icon from editing menu, it is on the right from two bullets "Bullets" icon.

Options
2024-03-11 16:26:37 - last edited 2024-03-11 16:26:46

Woodsnasty wrote

@Alexandre. 

Thanks mate - On the last section "connect laptop to Satellite M5 with Ethernet cable and run speed test on laptop. This will measure actual speed of WiFi backhaul link between Satellite Deco and Main Deco"

Do you mean to connect my laptop with ethernet cable to the Deco M5 downstairs in the lounge to test the actually speed of this unit?

@Woodsnasty 

Yes, connect laptop with ethernet cable to Satellite Deco M5 downstairs and run speed test on laptop.

Laptop will have wired Ethernet connection up to gigabit, Main Deco has wired Internet link up to gigabit speed, so the speed you'll be getting from this test will be WiFi backhaul speed between Satellite and Main Deco. 

Options
2024-03-11 16:42:53

@Alexandre. 

Hi mate - just did the test on the Deco downstairs - directly through the laptop with the ethernet cable and got the following results;

What are your thoughts, as it's strange then that wifi is so low speed?

Thanks 

Options
2024-03-11 17:24:12
Options