Firewall rules / Limit access for VPN clients ?

2024-03-15 17:13:57 - last edited 2024-03-16 14:56:38
Model: Archer AX80  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.1.2

Hi !

So I've currently setup a usb storage on my router which I use samba to access it remotely.

I also configured the VPN server on my router (OpenVPN) so I'm able to mount this storage on an external machine (which work great).

However, for security reasons, I'd like to limit the access of this external machine and prevent it from reaching devices on my local network.

I've looked around the settings but could not find anything suitable.

"Firewall" tab doesn't have much options (it doesn't seem possible to create any rules) and "Access control" tab seems to be only mac-based.

"VPN server" tab only offer "Home network only" without much distinction, granting access to the whole local network.

Basically I'd like to restrict my VPN network (e.g. 192.168.1.0/24) from my local network (e.g. 192.168.0.0/24) so it can only reach the usb storage (but it'd be nice too if I could select which local devices can be reached from the VPN).

It seems a pretty basic feature, so I was wondering if I missed something ?

Is it possible to achieve this ?

Thanks for your help and any suggestions

Options
2 Reply
Re:Firewall rules / Limit access for VPN clients ?
2024-03-16 15:45:35

@nekoneko 

There's no such granular control either for SPI firewall or VPN server on these routers - these are home routers despite the features they offer.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
Re:Firewall rules / Limit access for VPN clients ?
2024-03-18 07:27:45

@nekoneko 

Maybe you could consider disabling VPN server on the router, instead, use Internet FTP to allow external access to the USB storage via FTP.

If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 288

Replies: 2

Related Articles