Deco X50 Pro (2x2.5G ethernet ports) - Speed capped at 1.0G after firmware update

Deco X50 Pro (2x2.5G ethernet ports) - Speed capped at 1.0G after firmware update

2024-03-26 14:41:34 - last edited 2024-03-28 01:19:48
Model: Deco X50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.0 Build 20240204 Rel. 38148

Hello,

I've got a setup where I'm running fibre (through some hardware) directly into a Deco X50 Pro node and running a switch off of the 2.5G out to a number of devices. After updating to firmware 1.3.0 Build 20240204 Rel. 38148 (I was prompted in-app so I went for it, but I should know better, hehe) I'm seeing LAN speeds capped at 1.0G out of that port. I've been able to isolate this by:

• Testing the line into the router (speeds match my internet plan and hits well over 1.5G)
  • Testing the line out of the 2.5G port, and seeing speeds capped at 1.0G.

This seemed to work totally fine prior to the firmware update, so I assume that has something to do with this. Is there a new configuration to consider with the new build, or is this a known issue? I know the make (X50 Pro) is a weird one in that it does have 2x2.5G ports (where standard X50 does not), so I could see a bug landing for that if that is the case.

Thanks for your help!

Options
4 Reply
Re:Deco X50 Pro (2x2.5G ethernet ports) - Speed capped at 1.0G after firmware update
2024-03-27 02:59:53

@some_person 

Hi, is your current topology like:

Fibre ONT---(link1))---Main Deco X50 Pro---(link2)---2.5G switch---other wired devices.

Do you mean the "link2" here is capped at 1G/s?

May I know how you tested the Ethernet link speed? How about the model number of the 2.5G switch?

Did it make any difference if you swapped the Ethernet ports on the Deco X50 Pro to connect the ONT and switch?

By the way, did you get any error messages, like "Abnormal WAN speed" on the Deco APP?

Wait for your reply and best regards.

Options
Re:Deco X50 Pro (2x2.5G ethernet ports) - Speed capped at 1.0G after firmware update
2024-03-27 14:02:44 - last edited 2024-03-28 00:54:50

@David-TP 

You nailed it with the topology.

I've got a fibre-to-RJ45 converter set up at ((link1)) that I tested against my laptop with a USB-C-to Ethernet adapter rated for 2.5G - speed tests on Fast.com hit around 1.5-2G on that link as they are capped by my internet plan.

I then tested at ((link2)) by plugging the same USB-C-to Ethernet adapter into the second 2.5G port in the X50 Pro node and speed tests consistently appear to be capped at around 1G. The switch I have set up is a Mokerlink 5 Port 2.5G switch, but i seems to be performing to spec (as I was able to isolate the capped speed to the port on the X50 node itself). I also tried flipping the ports and the same speed was observable.

Previously, I'd be able to hit ((link1)) speed at ((link2)) consistently without issue.

As for any abnormal messages, none! I've got notifications set up with the app so I figure I should have gotten a ping, but I did not, and nothing's visible in app, either.

Thanks for your help!

Options
2024-03-28 01:48:25

@some_person 

Hi, Thanks for the update.

Do you have any mobile devices that support 160mhz and might get over 1G wireless speed from Deco X50 Pro?

Could you please also refer to this link to set another Deco X50 Pro as the main Deco to check whether the speed issue only follows a specific unit?

How to replace the main Deco with another Deco

In the meantime, I would like to follow up on your case via email in case I need to forward your case to the senior engineer for further assistance.

Please check whether you could receive my email.

Best regards.

Options
2024-03-28 13:38:32 - last edited 2024-03-28 13:38:59

@David-TP 

I've got an iPhone 15 Pro and it's able to hover around 1G at times, but no more. More tests below!

As for re-setting another Deco as main, more tests below:

• I set another unused node I had (let's call it node 3, with the older firmware) as new main and speeds went back up to what's expected, there.
  • I ran a test against node 2 (ethernet-backhauled, original non-main) and line speeds were also what I'd expect (hovering around 1.5G to 2G).
  • I then ran Node 1 (original main, with latest firmware) as a non-main node and line speeds were also what I'd expect (hovering around 1.5G to 2G). This to me would indicate that there isn't a hardware issue, at least, as it is capable of hitting those speeds.
  • I then re-set the original node 1 as main, and re-ran speed tests against it again and observed the same speed caps I'd originally reported.

To me, this doesn't smell like as much of a hardware failure as something hindering performance when a node is running as a main router.

One last test:

• I disabled QoS and it looks like speeds picked back up to what i'd expected! Kinda funny, though as I did have my testing laptop listed on there (and max bandwidth of 2500 Mbps).

So, to summarize, it looks like blowing away my old QoS config seems to have fixed the issue I was seeing, there. Still seems like a worth report to escalate if it's reproducible on y'alls end.

Thanks for your time and help!

Options