Advice for X20 installation in 105m2 apartment

2024-03-27 19:03:59
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: V1.2.0

Hello,

I'm using Deco X20 and moving to new apartment (7m x 16.7m) divided into 02 narrow areas: left is 03 bedrooms (separated by walls) and right is connected living room and kitchen (see attachment). The smallest bedroom (middle one) will be home office room.

I would need your advice for Deco X20:

- how many boxes should I buy and where to place for best coverage? Can you point out or mark on photo?

- I want to mount them on ceiling. Is it better than wall mount? Horizontal placement (table top or ceiling) vs vertical placement (wall mount) - which is better?

- I want to use wired backhaul. Which box will be the master and how to connect them to get best results. Should I buy a switch? I prefer Router mode for more security features 

Thanks, Ben

Options
4 Reply
Re:Advice for X20 installation in 105m2 apartment
2024-03-28 06:36:55

@tbang 

Hi, welcome to the community.

-May I know where the internet model is installed, in the living room?

The first main Deco needs to be connected to the modem directly via an Ethernet cable so it will be near the ISP modem.

The Deco units in the same package are the same and anyone could be the first main Deco

Connection Preference: Customize Deco Network Topology

- Is there an area or room where there are many devices that need internet?

You mentioned that you want to use Ethernet Backhaul. Is the Apartment pre-deployed with Ethernet cables already so there are several Ethernet jackets/output around the house?

How to set up Ethernet Backhaul with your Deco devices

-For mounting,

due to the shape of Deco X20, the table-top would be more commended. If you want to use ceiling mounting, you could look for a similar mounting kit like:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Deco+wall+mounting+kit

And more details you might be interested in--- Diversified Product Links Meet Every Scenario

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
2024-03-28 11:21:28

@David-TP 

David-TP wrote

@tbang 

Hi, welcome to the community.

-May I know where the internet model is installed, in the living room?

The first main Deco needs to be connected to the modem directly via an Ethernet cable so it will be near the ISP modem.

The Deco units in the same package are the same and anyone could be the first main Deco

Connection Preference: Customize Deco Network Topology

- Is there an area or room where there are many devices that need internet?

You mentioned that you want to use Ethernet Backhaul. Is the Apartment pre-deployed with Ethernet cables already so there are several Ethernet jackets/output around the house?

How to set up Ethernet Backhaul with your Deco devices

-For mounting,

due to the shape of Deco X20, the table-top would be more commended. If you want to use ceiling mounting, you could look for a similar mounting kit like:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Deco+wall+mounting+kit

And more details you might be interested in--- Diversified Product Links Meet Every Scenario

Thank you very much and best regards.

Thanks for replying. I'm renovating the apartment, so I will do wiring according to demands. Some quick answers:

- The Modem/Wifi router by ISP is normally placed at living room, below the TV. However, since I don't use its wifi capabitity, I may only use spare ethernet for TV/Set top box. I know that I need to connect the main Deco to this Modem because I'm using mix M5 and X20 at my other house. I plan to use Router mode for more advance security / controlling. 

- Devices are Smart TVs, Camera, Set top box/ console, Mobile phones and Laptops. All of them have wifi capability. Devices are spread allover the house.

- I can do wiring to every room, on ceiling or on wall box. This is the only chance to decide where to place the boxes, and should I place on top of table / or wall mount / or ceiling mount (upside down). For placement, should I still keep the box direction (up-down) or tilt it 90 degree?

My main question is how many boxes should I use to cover this apartment well, where to place each box. I can easily bring the ethernet cable to the optimized place, on wall or ceiling...

Thanks, Ben

Options
2024-03-29 02:02:09

@tbang 

Hi, I suggest we start with a 3-pack, one in the living room, next to the TV, the second is wired into the Home Office room, and the last is in the bottom-left bedroom.

Please try to keep the Deco box up-to-down and place it on the table-top(usually 1-1.5m from the floor).

One good thing about Deco is that all Deco models work well together, and we could always try to add extra units into the previous Mesh system if there is a WiFi Dead spot.

Can different Deco models work together?

Best regards.

Options
2024-03-29 08:04:18
Thanks David
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 111

Replies: 4

Related Articles