RE215 V1.6 US Failure upgrading firmware

2024-03-30 04:30:35 - last edited 2 weeks ago
Model: RE215  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.6 build 210907 Rel.58596n (6985)

I want to upgrade the firmware of my repeater RE215 to be able to use the easymesh functionality but when I try to do the manual upgrade it gives me an error and stops, I have tried all the firmware versions that are in the download section:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/re215/#Firmware

and all of them fail in the upgrade attempt, I would appreciate if you could help sending me a version that does not present an error.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:RE215 V1.6 US Failure upgrading firmware -Solution
2024-04-02 07:24:42 - last edited 2 weeks ago

@Zombie- 

Update:

This Article Applies to:

RE215_V1/V1.6_1.0.6

Issue Description/Phenomenon:

Users might find that they can not upgrade the firmware of RE215 from version 1.0.6 firmware to the newer one including online upgrade and local upgrade, the error message on the web might be like "Unable to connect to the server" when checking for upgrade online, or "Failed to upgrade the firmware. Please check the configuration file and try again" when upgrading the firmware manually.

Solution:

1. Please install the beta firmware - RE215_V1_Build_20240416 Beta first on the RE.
2. Reboot/Reset the RE after the Beta firmware is installed.
3. Upgrade to the latest firmware online or manually again.

Recommended Solution
Options
17 Reply
Re:RE215 V1.6 US Failure upgrading firmware
2024-03-30 13:49:25

@Zombie- 

Hi,

Could you please post a screenshot of the Firmware Upgrade page when it shows the error message?

Options
2024-03-30 19:30:05

Hi, thanks for the reply, here is the screenshot.

I have to say that I have done the same procedure with another different repeater (RE315) and with a Router (Archer C6) without any problem upgrading  everything fine,

BUT only this particular model RE215 gives that error @woozle 

Options
2024-03-30 23:21:04 - last edited 2024-03-30 23:37:59

@Zombie- 

Here are a few things you could try:

- Simplify the name of the firmware file. (change it to something like "re215v1-up.bin")

- Try using a computer with a web browser instead of a mobile device.

- If no computer available, then switch the web browser of your mobile device to load the "desktop" version of the RE215's webpage. The "desktop" version of the RE215's web GUI might be somewhat cumbersome to navigate on a phone's screen, but it is possible. (web browsers of mobile devices normally have some kind of toggle switch to choose between the "Mobile" version of a given webpage or the "Desktop" version of it)

Since you didn't mention anything about it I assume your RE215 doesn't find a newer firmware version by itself when you click the "Check For Upgrade" button, does it?

Options
2024-03-31 00:18:25

@woozle 

When I click the button Check For Upgrade, it prompts Your firmware is up to date.

I have tried all the recommendations that you posted and it still gives the same result, as you can see in the picture:

maybe the files on your servers (https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/re215/#Firmware)are wrong, that's why I would like you to send me some other file that works, different from the ones on the page

Options
2024-03-31 01:27:09

@Zombie- 

You will have to wait until Monday for the official TP-Link support to be back online.

They should be able to find out what is so special on your particular RE215.

I doubt that all the files on the website are wrong. The *.zip files for the RE215 V1 are the same for all countries that I checked and I don't remember anyone mentioning such issue before.

Options
2024-03-31 09:19:28

@Zombie- 

Check you RE bottom sticker and make sure what's your FW region and HW version.

They have to match the FW upgrade file that you're using - otherwise you'll get that error - details.

For example if your FW region is US and the HW v1 you can use latest FW release - here.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2024-03-31 19:30:52

@terziyski 

Thanks for the reply, as the title of this thread says the repeater is RE215 V1.6 US you can confirm it in the image:

Even so it cannot be upgraded with the firmware from the link you shared in your post, nor with the firmwares downloaded from the page: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/re215/#Firmware

I would appreciate a little more help to be able to upgrade and use of the easymesh functionality, the repeater is working good by itself but it cannot be integrated in an easymesh configuration

Options
2024-03-31 21:07:03 - last edited 2024-03-31 21:32:28

@Zombie- 

Try updating the FW with this file. The previous one was for HW v1 and it may not work for your HW v1.6.

You have to unzip the archive first and then use the bin file.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2024-04-01 01:05:35

@terziyski 

Thanks again for your reply, it is not the first time or the first device from tp link I manually upgrade, I have done the process before with an archer C6 v2.0 (no easymesh support unfortunately), RE315 v1 (easymesh), and two archer AX 53 v1 (with the beta firmware for easymesh ethernet backhaul), all of them successfully upgraded and working fine right now, so I know I need to have the correct unzipped .bin firmware file for each device.

I have tried all the instructions and firmwares for both the V1 and V 1.6 US in the links posted in the official page: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/re215/v1/#Firmware

And

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/re215/v1.60/#Firmware

Also tried the files from the links shared in the reply posts in this thread with the same error as you can see in the imagen:

That was my last attempt with the file downloaded from the link you shared in your last reply post, and as you can see I still have the same error.

Sorry if I bother you

Options
2024-04-01 03:36:52

@Zombie- 

There's no need to apologize. It's obvious that you're experiencing some kind of an issue. Probably contacting your local support would be the best approach.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 618

Replies: 17

Related Articles