ER605-V2 connected as VPN Client, but not pinging and not pingable

2024-04-08 06:37:13 - last edited 3 weeks ago
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.2.4 Build 20240119 Rel.44368

Hello. I own the aforementioned wired router, it is set up at my parents' house.
I am trying to establish a VPN connection between it and my network for FTP and backup purposes.

I am running an OpenVPN server inside a docker container on TrueNAS machine which is at my place, and the client connection is made from the router. I know the connection is made from the following:

This is what my clientside config looks like, the problem could be with "local IP" field. I did not know what to write in there so I tried 10.0.0.0/24 (subnet of the docker host machine) and 10.8.0.0/24 (subnet that VPN creates) too. I am hiding the remote server address for obvious reasons, but it's set to public ip of docker host.

Even though there is data being exchanged, none of the following works:

ping 10.0.0.1 (Router of docker host) from ER605

ping 10.8.0.1 (OpenVPN) from ER605

ping 10.8.0.6 (ER605 Client address) from Docker container

ping 10.8.0.10 (my laptop connected to the same vpn server) from ER605 (10.8.0.6) and vice-versa

When I create the same setup using my laptop (10.8.0.10) all of the above works, server and laptop ping each other, but neither of them can ping or can be pinged from the tp-link client.

Any input will be appreciated

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:ER605-V2 connected as VPN Client, but not pinging and not pingable-Solution
3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago

Hi @bedro 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

bedro wrote

Hello. 192.168.64.0/24 is the physical LAN network of ER605 router, as opposed to 10.8.0.0/24 which is assigned by openvpn. Yes I am trying to create a LAN-to-LAN network.

Hope this is helpful.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options

@Clive_A First of all, thanks for making the guide just for my current case. Unfortunately, it seems like I am doing everything according to the guide (except two way link, which I do not need).

I got a root access to the ER605 device to debug. I even tried running openvpn3 --config client.ovpn

with commandline, but still no connection.

I found the solution, before I finished typing this reply. I solved it by adding two routes via root commandline on ER605.

dest: 10.0.0.0 netmask: 255.255.255.0 gateway: 10.8.0.6

dest: 10.8.0.1 netmask: 255.255.255.255 gateway: 10.8.0.6

I don't know if I tried this before, but it worked this time. I guess you can close the thread now. Just let me know, can I reopen it if there are any more issues? Thanks again.

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:ER605-V2 connected as VPN Client, but not pinging and not pingable
2024-04-09 03:00:16

Hi @bedro 

What is this subnet?

Are you trying to create a LAN-to-LAN network?

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
3 weeks ago
Hello. 192.168.64.0/24 is the physical LAN network of ER605 router, as opposed to 10.8.0.0/24 which is assigned by openvpn. Yes I am trying to create a LAN-to-LAN network.
Options

Hi @bedro 

bedro wrote

Hope this is helpful.

Recommended Solution
Options

@Clive_A First of all, thanks for making the guide just for my current case. Unfortunately, it seems like I am doing everything according to the guide (except two way link, which I do not need).

I got a root access to the ER605 device to debug. I even tried running openvpn3 --config client.ovpn

I found the solution, before I finished typing this reply. I solved it by adding two routes via root commandline on ER605.

I don't know if I tried this before, but it worked this time. I guess you can close the thread now. Just let me know, can I reopen it if there are any more issues? Thanks again.

Recommended Solution
Options
3 weeks ago

Hi @bedro 

bedro wrote

1. Any questions about the debug mode are not answered. Debug mode is not open to the users and we don't provide any guidelines on howto enter it or what commands you should use. Debug mode is for the dev team only so far when we are in a remote session. We have not publicized anything about this part particularly.

Warning to anyone, anything you do in the debug mode may be damaging to the system if you don't know what you are doing. If there is a misconfig leading to the brick situation, please recover based on the FAQ. We do not offer help on recovering your missing parameters or config in debug mode.

2. I tried without adding anything on the ER605 but what's been configured in that guide? So, I'd say that it would work without anything special. Just a regular OpenVPN setup.

3. No. If you have new questions, open a new public thread and it is open for anyone to discuss. Not just me.

If you have a question just for the support, please contact the technical support instead.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 233

Replies: 5

Related Articles