Windows 7 can't play LAN with or without Parental Controls (please read to see what I mean)

Windows 7 can't play LAN with or without Parental Controls (please read to see what I mean)

2024-04-08 07:24:01
Model: TL-WR841N  
Hardware Version: V14
Firmware Version: 0.9.1 4.19 v0348.0 Build 220816 Rel.43928n

I am using two computers to play a two player network game: one is a Windows 11 Pro machine and one is a Windows 7 Ultimate machine. The Windows 7 machine is locked out of Internet access by means of Parental Control.

The reason I blocked my Windows 7 computer out of Internet access was that I am under the impression that it will be vulnerable to hackers. At the same time, I still want to use my Windows 7 computer for basic functions, offline network storage, and IPX/SPX/TCP/UDP network gaming, while being protected from outside threats. Perhaps that is a misconception, but for my purpose, I would like to still usage until it breaks down permanently and yet protect it from whatever I can protect from it. I would opt to use Windows 10, but I have no drivers supporting that operating system.

All was well until I turned off the Windows 7 computer and turned it back on as a test. When I tested games Command and Conquer Generals Zero Hour and the legacy versions of Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne ([b]not[/b] the new Reforged version), I can see no games being created when there were. Thinking it was Parental Controls that created the problem, I disabled it, but the problem persisted nonetheless, especially when I reinstated Internet access to the Windows 7 computer, but there were no resolutions.

I asked around the Internet, but I have yet to have an answer. I asked OpenAI, but the bot would just offer generic solutions that do not pertain to the problem. I tried looking for DirectPlay, but while Windows 11 has it, Windows 7 had no such option.

One thing that might help: I enabled and disabled Parental Control by checking and unchecking the topmost checkbox of the page respectively, I did not go through with the Clear Schedule buttons located below. Should I do that?

Anything that might help me is welcome.

I have been using TP-Link products in the past and I have found satisfaction in using them. I will still continue using TP-Link, as I am a pleased patron.

Thank you.

Options
8 Reply
Re:Windows 7 can't play LAN with or without Parental Controls (please read to see what I mean)
2024-04-08 07:34:42

I should add that I am still able to browse the network shares of the other computers using any computer.

Just so you know.

Options
Re:Windows 7 can't play LAN with or without Parental Controls (please read to see what I mean)
2024-04-09 03:05:54

@RobertYu 

Hi, did you try resetting the router to factory defaults by holding the reset button for about 10 seconds?

By the way, was the two-player network game working fine before you enabled parental control for the first time?

If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2024-04-09 06:23:30
Yes, it was better before I put Parental Controls on. No, I haven't tried resetting the router. Perhaps I will try that.
Options
2024-04-09 07:02:21 - last edited 2024-04-09 07:04:10

@Sunshine 

Back. I tried resetting the router.

That trick didn't work. The Windows 7 machine was browsing the web, but that was never the problem. The problem was that it wasn't able to connect to a DirectX LAN game.

And it wasn't like that before i put any Parental restrictions onto it.

Options
2024-04-09 11:15:34

@Sunshine I'm going to try to get a hold of another NIC.

How plausible is that solution?

Options
2024-04-09 19:24:32 - last edited 2024-04-09 21:13:02

@Sunshine 

I tried testing another network card, and that didn't work.

Options
2024-04-10 01:46:20

@RobertYu 

Hi, are you able to ping each other between the two computers?

If not, please turn off the windows firewall for a try.

If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2024-04-10 10:41:39

@Sunshine

Yeah, that's one of the things I tried.

The computers can access the network, but the Windows 7 computer can't do UDP/IP networking in games like Starcraft, Warcraft III,and Command and Conquer Generals.

Options