Help Setting Up Mesh WiFi Network with Deco S7 Units Using Wired Backhaul

2024-04-10 14:27:35
Model: Deco S7  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.4.1

Hello,

I'm looking to establish a mesh WiFi network throughout my house using 6 TP-Link Deco S7 units, with the aim of having the same WiFi network (SSID) in all my rooms, including five bedrooms and the living room. I've set up the network with one main Deco unit and have the other units connected to this main Deco. My house is equipped with cable points in all rooms, and I intended to use these for a wired backhaul to each of the secondary Deco units.

However, I've encountered an issue where, upon connecting an Ethernet cable to any secondary Deco unit, its indicator light turns red and the unit ceases to function within the network. I'm looking for guidance on how to properly set up my network to achieve a seamless WiFi experience throughout my house, utilizing both the wireless and wired connections as intended.

Could anyone provide insights or advice on how to correctly configure the Deco S7 units using Ethernet backhaul without encountering these issues? I appreciate any suggestions or troubleshooting tips to get this setup working as desired.

Thank you in advance!

Options
6 Reply
Re:Help Setting Up Mesh WiFi Network with Deco S7 Units Using Wired Backhaul
2024-04-10 14:50:08

@jamzeze I think to answer this you would need to explain how the wall-sockets are linked together. Do they all go to a central switch somewhere? Are there multiple switches? Can you sketch a quick network diagram to help diagnose the problem?

XE75 V1.0 3-pack / Wired backhaul / Router mode / UK
Options
2024-04-11 13:13:49

@Wrayman Thx for the answer. Here is a sketch of the network.

All the decos are connected through cable to the switch .  I hope this help you find a solution.Regards

Options
2024-04-11 13:25:01

@jamzeze you'll need to connect the primary deco between the ISP router and the main switch. Try this then see how your network performs. Also, you may want to check with some of the TP link admins to see if the switch you have is compatible with wired backhaul 👍 

Options
2024-04-11 14:14:41

@Wrayman Thanks! And when should i plug in the cable into the secondary decos? Before or after the configuration? 

Options
2024-04-11 15:14:28

@jamzeze I would just follow the setup advice in the Deco app but I believe they recommend setting them up wirelessly first one by one, then connecting them to the switch one by one 👍 

Options
2024-04-11 15:18:29

@jamzeze I should have asked earlier, but is the Deco system acting as a router or just access points? If it's just access points it shouldn't make a difference if they're all connected to the switch like your diagram but if it's a router then you'll need main one before the switch and I would recommend setting up your isp router in modem mode or bridging mode so it doesn't cause problems with double NAT or DHCP 👍 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 390

Replies: 6

Related Articles