ER605 disconnects while renewing WAN DHCP lease

a week ago
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.4.4

Hi all,

I have a strange issue. My ER605 v2, running on latest firmware.

Every day, at 23:05 or so router is renewing WAN DHCP lease from ISP. I would not be concerning but it disconnects clients for a minute or two while doing that! 

Yesterday I was watching a match and router disconnected my TV from the internet and I had to reopen transmission to get it working. The same thing is happening on everything connected to the network. I have to wait more than a minute for router to connect clients to the Internet back.

If you need more specific info please tell me what do you need and I will provide it.

Options
8 Reply
Re:ER605 disconnects while renewing WAN DHCP lease
a week ago

@viackyp 

Is your ISP changing your IP daily, that may cause a number of processes to run inside the router to recalibrate based on the new IP.

Is it possible to shift your IP lease renew time to say 3AM by forcing a reboot schedule daily at 3AM?

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
a week ago

@d0ugmac1 

But I am still getting the same IP addres after renewal.

And on the router provided by ISP there's no issue at all - I was using it for a year before I bought ER605. These processes should not affect connectivity for that long in my opinion.

Options
a week ago - last edited a week ago

@viackyp 

Can you put your ISP router into bridge mode?

Is your router rebooting at 11:05pm...ie if you run a continuous ping from 11:00 to 11:10, do you lose ping responses from the TPlink router's IP.

Options
a week ago

@d0ugmac1 

Don't get me wrong. I have replaced the router provided by ISP. Now it's looking like this: fiber optic cable from outside --> ONT device --> RJ to ER605 WAN port.

The router I have replaced is some Tenda router. On this Tenda I had no issues.

Options
a week ago

@viackyp 

I have a site where I am set up for Fibre->Nokia ONT->ER605 with no such issues.   Are you running the ER605 in Standalone mode?  

My ISP uses PPPoE to authenticate, but I'm not sure what the DHCP lease time is set for...will check.

Options
a week ago
Yes, I am using router in standalone mode. Have been in a touch with my ISP - said that I should try to set static IP basing on what DHCP proposed. Changed it, now I’m waiting for 23 - it’s less than na hour from now.
Options
a week ago

Hi @viackyp 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

viackyp wrote

Yes, I am using router in standalone mode. Have been in a touch with my ISP - said that I should try to set static IP basing on what DHCP proposed. Changed it, now I’m waiting for 23 - it’s less than na hour from now.

Usually, it is a renewal issue with the ISP. ISP reauthens every 24 hours, mostly. The 24 hours start to count at the moment when your router connects to the ISP network.

Ideally, you can set a timer on your plug if it is a smart one, or you can use the reboot schedule on the router to reboot it in the middle of the night when you don't have things in production.

This will reconnect your network and get authenticated with the ISP so that it does not interrupt your night fun time.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
a week ago
I'm back with some feedback. So, after changing from dynamic IP to static on WAN situation seems to be better. Couple of online detection logs (WAN is offline/online) in system logs - but without outage. Tweaked the online detection method from auto to manual and pointed to google dns on both ping and DNS lookup. I will observe the situation for a couple of days, but I feel the improvement - or I think i feel. Thanks everyone for help!
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 152

Replies: 8

Related Articles