Deco X50 no wifi settings?

2024-05-04 15:25:47
Model: Deco X50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 2.0.6 Build 20230928 Rel. 882

My ISP is Distributel Canada, reselling Bell FTTH service. They provided a pre-configured Deco X50 with the appropriate PPPoE credentials and VLAN tagging to authenticate on Bell's network. The Deco firmware is 2.0.6 Build 20230928 Rel. 882. The problem is I cannot make any changes to the wifi settings (channel, bandwidth, off/on). Is this due to the customized nature of this firmware or am I missing something obvious?

My second question is: if I flash to another firmware, will it allow me to make these changes? I tried using the Local Upgrade tool from the web interface but it says

Upgrade failed. Please select the latest version of firmware to upgrade.

Is there a limitation that prevents "downgrading" from 2.0.6 to 1.3.1? How can I get configurable wifi settings on my Deco X50?

The hardware version is V1.0 if it helps.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Deco X50 no wifi settings?
2024-05-06 12:09:02

@sheytoon 

Hi, Deco doesn't support changing wireless channels, on/off the main Wi-Fi network (you should be able to disable either 2.4GHz or 5Ghz, but not spontaneously) even with the non-ISP customized firmware version.

It is not suggested to flash the general firmware to the ISP customized version as it might break the hardware.

The ISP-customized firmware is specifically tailored to meet the requirements of the ISP and It would be better to contact the ISP directly to see whether there is a new version than 2.0.6 Build 20230928 Rel. 882 that has added some features.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
2024-05-06 14:29:18 - last edited 2024-05-06 14:31:01

@sheytoon 

If you're unable to access the WiFi settings for your Deco X50, there are a few steps you can try to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Check the Deco App: Ensure that you're using the Deco app provided by TP-Link to manage your Deco X50 system. The app should allow you to access and configure WiFi settings for your network.

2. Verify Connection: Make sure your mobile device or computer is connected to the Deco X50 network. If you're not connected, you won't be able to access the WiFi settings.

3. Restart the Deco X50: Try restarting your Deco X50 system by unplugging the power adapter, waiting for a few seconds, and then plugging it back in. This can sometimes resolve connectivity issues.

4. Update Firmware: Check if there's a firmware update available for your Deco X50 system. Updating to the latest firmware version can fix bugs and improve performance, including issues related to WiFi settings.

5. Reset Deco X50: If none of the above steps work, you can try resetting your Deco X50 to its factory default settings. Keep in mind that this will erase all your current settings, so make sure to back up any important configurations beforehand.

If you've tried these steps and still can't access the WiFi settings for your Deco X50, you may need to contact TP-Link support for further assistance. They can provide specific troubleshooting steps based on your situation. TP-Link support: https://community.tp-link.com/

Options
2024-05-06 16:04:20 - last edited 2024-05-06 16:12:22

@David-TP Are you saying none of your Deco products allow the customer to adjust wifi channel settings or to disable wifi completely?

I can't disable any of the bands either. If I go to Wi-Fi Settings > 2.4 GHz & 5 GHz Network > Advanced > Band, I can see 3 options:

1. 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz
  2. 2.4 GHz Only
  3. 5 GHz Only

Default is #1. If I change to #2 or #3, it just hides the SSID, but still broadcasts the RF and causes interference to other networks.

Why is there no option to turn off wifi completely?

Options
2024-05-06 16:13:12

@tryuruf None of those suggestions work. I've already tried them. It's a firmware issue.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 412

Replies: 4

Related Articles