Archer VR400 v3 - Bridge Mode Question

2024-05-07 07:21:10
Model: Archer VR400  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.5.0 0.9.1 v00a1.0 Build 220321 Rel.60385n

Hi All,

New TP Link owner here and relative Networking novice.  

I have a Archer Vr400, which I want to operate as a Modem Only (Bridge Mode), with a connection to Ubiquity Dream Machine SE.   I am based in Australia and my connection is a VDSL2, with an OPTUS NBN Fibre to the Node connection.  

I have set up the Archer and Dream Machine and all is currently "working", but I am unsure if I actually have the connection successfully bridged or not (I think I might have double NAT).  The current Set up is as follows:

My understanding of this is that the ipoe_ptm_0_0_d is the standard connection and the br_ptm_2_1 is the Bridge, however I feel that I should only have the Bridge connection.  However, when I delete the Ipoe connection, I don't get Internet at all?  

I have read through the numerous Bridge Mode posts, but can't specifically work it out for my scenario.  

Do I have this correct or am I technically in a Double NAT situation here?    

My whole purpose was to get a solid network setup, so I am keen to get the Bridge Part correct from the outset and will change devices if the Archer can't do the Bridge Mode correctly (But think it should be able to). 

Thanks in advance.

Binza

Options
3 Reply
Re:Archer VR400 v3 - Bridge Mode Question
2024-05-07 12:24:16

@TPBINZA 

Here's a guide on how to set DSL modem router in bridge mode.

Here's a story on how to avoid double NAT in your local network.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2024-05-07 22:47:44

@terziyski 

Thankyou for your help.  This is helpful and great information, however I am still a little confused with my particular setup.  I did originally see your guide.

With my ISP, it doesn't require a login / account, so I technically should just get an ADSL connection, however if I delete the original connection and just have a Bridge, then I don't get an IP / Connection from my provider.  

Afer reading your posts, possibly is has something to do with my ISP's VLAN set up, so I will contact my ISP and check for any particular requirements.  I also read something about existing leases having to expire before the connection will establish again after changing to bridge (possibly becuase my provider doesn't require logon as such, so it needs to refresh) , but not sure if this is true.

Many thanks,

Binza

Options
2024-05-07 23:06:24

@TPBINZA 

Well, it depends on what's your Internet connection type:

These guides are using PPPoE internet connection type. If your ISP is using Dynamic IP then probably you should consult your ISP first.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 222

Replies: 3

Related Articles