Satellite Deco is connected but all devices connect to main

2024-05-11 06:57:44
Model: Deco X50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.0 Build 20231229 Rel. 43148

I have 2 Deco X50 in a small appartment, main in the living room, satellite in the hallway, closer to the 3 bedrooms. At first everything worked as expected, bedroom devices connected to the hallway deco, etc

Now I noticed, that not a single device is connected or ever connecting to the hallway satellite any more. Even if I force i.e. the printer, which is the furthest from the main deco, it will rather stay offline than connect to the closer hallway satellite.

When I take my phone, which is connected to main deco and move to the hallway deco, and continue to move away until the connection to main deco drops, it won't connect to hallway but rather lose wifi connection completely.

The app says everything is working fine. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I reset the hallway deco but no luck.

Options
8 Reply
Re:Satellite Deco is connected but all devices connect to main
2024-05-11 13:27:22

@36ty 

Something might be wrong with Satellite Deco, even if Deco app says everything is OK.

Open Satellite Deco page in Deco app and check what it shows under "Connected to:"

Example, with Satellite Deco (Office) connecting to Main Deco (Living Room):

See if Satellite Deco reports it uses both bands, 2.4GHz and 5GHz to connect to Main Deco. If it uses only one band, there may be hardware issue with Deco unit.

Options
2024-05-11 21:14:09

@Alexandre. Thanks for your quick answer! It seems it's connecting to living room with both bands

Screenshot App

Options
2024-05-12 11:38:21

@36ty 

That means Satellite Deco can use both bands for devices that try to connect to it.

The next step would be to promote Satellite to Main Deco, swap Deco units and see if problem moves with Deco unit, meaning no devices will now connect to new Main Deco and everything is connected to Satellite Deco.

The process of promoting Satellite to Main Deco is here: Changing the Main Unit for your Mesh Network

When swapping Deco units, take their power supplies with them, too. 

Options
2024-05-13 05:29:44

@Alexandre. Tried to switch main deco several times, but always get a "setting not saved, please try again later."

Options
2024-05-13 06:17:43

@36ty 

Hi, Thanks for the update.

Could you please refer to this link to help me submit the Deco App logs:

How to submit Deco APP log

Wait for your reply and best regards.

Options
2024-05-13 07:16:39

@David-TP Hi! I did submit the logs, but not sure if that will help, because I just installed the whole network from scratch and switched the two decos to see if the problem persists. So the logs might not include the previous problem?

However, what I can say after re-installing everything is: the Deco that used to be the satellite, which is now set as "main", worked fine, and devices were all connecting to it. That is, until I disconnected the Decos from power to move them back to their locations. After booting up, the new "main" seems to have lost it's configuration and flashes a blue light. The other one flashes red, because it doesn't get a connection (obviously).

Seems like there is a hardware problem? Or is there a way to re-install a firmware? Thanks!

Options
2024-05-13 07:38:40 - last edited 2024-05-13 07:38:59

Update: even after setting up a whole new network and switching the 2 Deco units, I have the same problem as before: all devices are only connecting to "main". What's odd: the satellite unit is still broadcasting its open "Deco_****" SSID, even though the app says it is correctly set up and included in my network.

Options
2024-05-14 01:49:19

@36ty 

Hi, Thanks for the logs. It has been forwarded to the senior engineer for further assistance.

Please refer to the email for more suggestions later.

Best regards.

Options