Help - Large house cat6 Ethernet - can I expand network via Ethernet?

2024-05-15 16:17:01

Hi - please can someone help

AXE5400 Pro setup

i have a large house with Ethernet cat6 cabling throughout. I have six AXE5400 Pro connected via mesh wifi but am struggling to reach the far part of the house.  I have a fibre line that goes straight to the house into a modem which is then connected to BT router (on which I have disabled the WiFi) The main AXE5400 is connected to my BT box via a cat6 cable as are the two switch boxes which the main houses cat6 cabling goes into.

The six AXE5400 mesh won't get accross to the far side of the house - there is a lot of silver foil backed insulation in the wall that perhaps doesn't help - so can I connect a further AXE5400 to the Ethernet port on that side of the house and start a WiFi network?

Also should I connect all the AXE5400 to the Ethernet ports in each room they are in to allow Backhaul via Ethernet?

Also at the moment they are only configured to 2.5/5 g WiFi - should I enable the 6g WiFi network too? Do I call it the same network or does it have to be named something else?

Really appreciate any advice

Options
1 Reply
Re:Help - Large house cat6 Ethernet - can I expand network via Ethernet?
2024-05-15 19:31:22

@Tedrino 

As a first step, you will need to configure Deco mesh to run in Access Point mode: https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/kb/detail/334

After that, you can connect Satellite Deco XE75 Pro (AXE5400 Pro) to any available Ethernet port. As long as switches are compatible with Deco Ethernet backhaul, Satellite Deco will use Ethernet when wired.

You can verify if switches are compatible by just wiring Satellite Deco to it. If it can use Ethernet for backhaul, you'll see that in Deco app for that Satellite Deco, example:

It is recommended to connect all Satellite Deco to Ethernet ports. Satellite Decos performance will improve a lot when they are on Ethernet bachkaul.

6GHz WiFi network unlikely to make much difference in an environment such as yours. You can keep it off.

Options