Votes

enabling/desabling device enrollment feature for the IOT network and SSID hide/unhide option

Votes

enabling/desabling device enrollment feature for the IOT network and SSID hide/unhide option

2024-05-20 06:47:16 - last edited 2024-05-21 00:54:08
Model: Deco BE85  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.18

Hello,

I do not recommend this network to be visible all the time.

recommendation 1 :

Have a feature in the interface to disabling/enabling enrollement of devices. the admin then decides when devices can join this domain.

such network should limit enrollment tasks to be limited only when admin decides to enrol device and not 24/24.

recommendation 2 : 

SSID hide/unhide feature.

thanks

Options
2 Reply
Re:enabling/desabling device enrollment feature for the IOT network and SSID hide/unhide option
2024-05-21 03:00:43

@sebastien74 

Hi, Thank you very much for all the great ideaslaugh.

For the first one, 

Recommendation 1 :

Have a feature in the interface to disabling/enabling enrollement of devices. the admin then decides when devices can join this domain.

such network should limit enrollment tasks to be limited only when admin decides to enrol device and not 24/24.

Do you wish to set the network duration time for the IOT network, instead of enabling it for 24 hours? such as the "Duration" settings on the Guest network here:

Guest Network on Deco

Best regards.

Options
Re:enabling/desabling device enrollment feature for the IOT network and SSID hide/unhide option
2024-05-21 08:07:20

@sebastien74 

Hi for your update.

now that most and most router are managed with smartphones, it's far more easy to manage them quickly (although I would prefer to have a real web interface for this tplink ...)

with that said, my idea is that for IOT wifi network (can be applicable for other wifi networks, but less relevant), the router admin decides when clients can register a new device to this network or not. we know that IOT devices are not devices that are changing every day. you don't replace your camera or coffee machine every week.

so, I would like to have this choice : 

- admin go to the deco app

- admin enable IOT wifi "device enrollment" option

- admin and/or client can then enroll "new device"

- once completed, admin disable IOT wifi "device enrollment" option

- nobody can then enroll a new device until request is done to the admin.

IOT wifi still remain active and devices are still able to connect to this network if already known by this network

in addition, having a WPS option for this IOT network would be nice. some IOT devices can only be enrolled with WPS, so if I enable WPS on the router, this device  will be enrolled to the "default wifi" network in the tplink router but not in the IOT one. 

so being able to activate WPS for this specific IOT device will be helpful.(and like the default WPS option, when you select WPS, that should be available 1 min or 2, but no more and should no remain active)

thanks,

Seb

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 191

Replies: 2

Voters 1