Separate 2.4 and 5 ghz SSD

3 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago
Model: Deco XE75  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: Latest

Hi David,

will it be possible in the near future to separate the 2.4 and 5 ghz SSD from the main network?

I have a few internetradio's and security cams, some 2.4 some 5 ghz, I allways have some buffering with combined SSD bands, Never! If i use one or another (or on other brand which can separate). So this is realy important for me.

Thank you!

Options
8 Reply
Re:Separate 2.4 and 5 ghz SSD
2 weeks ago

@JSTM Try setting your main network to 5 GHz only & your guest network to 2.4 GHz only

Just a M4 (2-pack) user who regrets buying it
Options
2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

@ImtiazAli 

Thanks for the tip.

Of course i had already tried this and so i know separate all works well.

But i have to deal with some apps to connect to and also a Nas, so no option!

I have as much cabled as possible, but in the end, why do i buy a good wifi set?

This brings me back to my original question:

Will it be possible in the near future to separate these two?

Kind regards.

Update: So now i took a M5 and created a new AP network which i set on 2.4 ghz and the Main network on de XE75's i set on 5 ghz only.

Seems to work well, is this a valid method?

Options
2 weeks ago

@JSTM 

Hi, Deco XE75 should support IOT network.

Have you tried to set IOT with SSID #1 on 2.4GHz only, then main network with SSID#2 on 5GHz?

PS: the IOT network is not separated from the main network.

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/stories/detail/501928

Best regards.

Options

@David-TP Good morning,

Just tried with one internetradio and indeed it works, i can control it with app on main network.

That scares me a little, should iot network not be safe separated from main, i got a lot of cheap devices on iot......

Also now extra curious, do i have protection without payed subscription of Homeshield?

And again my question, will it be possible in future to separate 2.4 and 5 ghz SSD?

Also, i reed in your link one of the reasons for an iot network is that iot devices will not cause performance problems to your devices on the main network. The n again, if i have to set my internetradio and security cam (both 2.4 ghz) on the iot network, will they have no performance issues?

Options
2 weeks ago

@JSTM 

Hi,  You do have network protection without a HomeShield subscription. The default protection is provided by the NAT of Deco.

There are other security features on the Deco, like Device Isolation and Camera Security.

Device Isolation could provide extra separation among devices. For certain high-risk smart devices, if you just need them online for 24 hours and prevent interaction with other IOT devices, you could enable "Device Isolation" for such devices.

Take standard wireless routers for example, the separate SSIDs of 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks are still accessible to each other.

And I'm afraid there hasn't been a plan to separate 2.4 and 5 GHz SSDs.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options

@David-TP So now i added security cam and 2.4 ghz internetradio to the iot network which is set on only 2.4.

Main network is set on 5 ghz only and devices like iphones and tablets and 5 ghz internetradio are connected.

Guest network i set also on 5 ghz only and i use it only for devices from childeren and their friends or occasionally our guests, this is running 24/7.

All works well now ( i will say something about it on another topic about XE75) and devices show well every time in Undok app.

Note: i have no camera security tab in my deco app.

I still am not shure what is the difference between deco iot and 'standard router' on which you set a extra 2.4 ghz network and connect your iot devices. Devices can (and must in some cases) connect to each other....

Options
2 weeks ago

@ImtiazAli same to set this option create but not good performance provided deco X10 main router and Mash connect to Deco M4 3pack cable connection. 

Sayeem Ahmed
Options
a week ago

@David-TP So still everything seems to run well, but i've got the strangest problem:

We got this (Bauknecht) combi microwave oven with wifi 2.4 ghz, mainly for getting a notification when meal is finished.

It's about 5 years old and it has always been a pain to get it and keep it on the wifi. Lately it was doing well on my iot (2.4 only) network, but ever since i re-installed all deco's and made a V1 in stead of my only V2 XE75 version main deco last week (see my other topic about switches) again it won't keep it's connection it's even worde the before. Looses connection right after it connects.

Tried all the usual stuff, but nothing worked.

Then i set my main 5ghz only to 5 en 2.4 ghz and connected this oven to the main network and it was stable since.....

Again tried on iot, but the same problem, back to main and ok again. (now i isolated it to be save)

So strange since  all other devices work well on main, iot and guest network. Only this oven is giving problems to connect. 
Of course i blame the oven, but that still don't make me understand this case. Maybe somebody has an explanation?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 197

Replies: 8

Related Articles