(How) can Deco handle devices connecting to "wrong" access point?

2024-06-13 16:21:28

I current have BT Whole Home Wifi and am thinking about replacing it, as I've had ongoing problems with devices randomly disconnecting from wifi and refusing to reconnect until I restart either the BT disc network or the router. All of the locations in question now have ethernet ports, so I am considering an alternative solution which has the following feataures:

• Seamless roaming between access points when moving around the house

• Configurable SSID

• Guest network - i.e. allowing internet access but no access to LAN

• Easy to configure and restart from a central console/app (e.g. rebooting system without having to physically power cycle each AP).

• Ability to "guide" devices to the nearest access point when they are connected to one which is in the wrong location.

The last requirement relates to a problem that I currently have: I have one of my four BT Whole Home Wifi discs placed close to the front door, so that my video doorbell and security camera have a good wifi connection. However whenever I need to reboot the system (or individual discs) the doorbell and security camera will often reconnect to a disc much further away (e.g. at the back of the house). As a result, their wifi connection is poor and they frequently drop their connection (albeit briefly). I want to be able to guide or force them to reconnect to the access point nearest the door (which is only 6 feet away).

Does any of the Deco range support this and the other features listed above?

Options
1 Reply
Re:(How) can Deco handle devices connecting to "wrong" access point?
2024-06-13 19:35:26 - last edited 2024-06-13 19:37:29

@itm60 

• Seamless roaming between access points when moving around the house

Any WiFi mesh should offer that. It is the principal difference between WiFi mesh and bunch of independent WiFi Access Points.

• Configurable SSID

What is "Configurable SSID?" I am not familiar with BT Whole Home Wifi, on Deco mesh I configured SSID name that I wanted for Main Network and another name that I wanted for Guest Network. 

• Guest network - i.e. allowing internet access but no access to LAN

Yes.

• Easy to configure and restart from a central console/app (e.g. rebooting system without having to physically power cycle each AP).

Yes. You can reboot single Deco WiFi mesh unit or all units through Deco app. You can do that remotely (not connected to Deco WiFi). On newer Deco models you can schedule automatic nightly reboot.

Note that you must use Deco app on smartphone for Deco mesh management and configuration, there is no Web management UI.

• Ability to "guide" devices to the nearest access point when they are connected to one which is in the wrong location.

That one will be challenging for any WiFi mesh. It is because final decision where to connect is made by device. See Why my clients don't roam/connect to the nearest Deco node?

This is TP-Link Deco FAQ article, but it is applicable to almost any WiFi mesh and could explain why video doorbell and security camera don't choose nearest BT WiFi mesh node.

----------

More on a topic of WiFi roaming. If your video doorbell and security camera only support 2.4GHz, it could mean their WiFi code could have been written by software developers before WiFi mesh became common at households. If video doorbell and security camera can use 5 GHz, it is possible Deco mesh can be configured to force them connect to Deco node you want, because their code is newer and understands it. Also, 5GHz signal travels shorter distances than 2.4GHz, just forcing video doorbell and security camera to use 5GHz only, which you can do with Deco mesh, could convince them connect to nearby Deco node.

If you want good connectivity from video doorbell and security camera to WiFi mesh, these devices must support 5GHz. 

-----------

TP-Link offers huge variety of Deco models, with different feature sets between models. If your Internet link is gigabit or less, and you still want to try Deco mesh, choose between Deco X50 and Deco X55. They have one of the best if not the best Deco feature set for WiFi6 Deco models.

These two models are very similar by specs and performance, but one may be on sale while other is not - then, get one that is on sale.

Options