Set a search domain Name for the DHCP Server

2024-06-17 08:26:01 - last edited 2024-06-18 08:16:55
Model: Deco XE75  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.2.8 build 20240328 Rel 43136

HI,

I would like to set a domain name search for the clients which connects to the Wifi. This option is not available in the DHCP settings . I think is it a basic feature so I feel weird not to have this by default available. am I missing something ? 

Thanks

Options
3 Reply
Re:Set a search domain Name for the DHCP Server
2024-06-18 08:16:14 - last edited 2024-06-18 08:16:39

@lmo92 

Hi, Thanks for the feedback.

There hasn't an option on the Deco APP to add a "search domain" under DHCP settings.

Generally, you don't need a search domain. For resolving external hosts, the DNS queries that are fully qualified (FQDN) such as https://community.tp-link.com will be sent to your specified external DNS server for resolution to an IP address. For resolving local host names, such as server1.local, as long as the client and server1 both support mdns, you are able to access the server via server1.local.

Best regards.

Options
2024-06-18 08:55:16 - last edited 2024-06-18 08:55:44

Hello !

Thanks for your answer, nevertheless, not relevant.

for External domain, it doesn't apply, as external, standard resolution applies.

Now for Internal, you may have several local network ( one for LAN, one for WIFI ), so, the mDNS doesn't work.

Workaround is to switch the Wifi access point ( so the deco itself ) as bridge, relying on another DHCP server to provide all standard attributes. You generally don't want that as you are loosing almost all feature from the deco.

All that to say that I'm surprised that a basic and standard ( ref :   ) is not implemented in Deco.

AS it doesn't require any hardware modification but just software update ,

Is there a way to set this feature for the next updates ?

Thanks

Options
2024-06-24 23:23:10

agreed.. whatever their DHCP implementation, the ability is there at the software level... simply adding the field to allow us to set a custom domain shouldn't be hard. and for support to come back and say "just use local" - No.. this RFC explains that "home arpa" is correct, not local, so there should be a choice.

rfc8375 (can't link, just search for it)

I run a lot of server software at home, and having FQDN is essential.

if a $50 router has it, why does a "premium" product not offer the option.

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 252

Replies: 3

Voters 2