Devices cannot communicate in the same frequency and router

2024-06-24 13:28:40 - last edited 2024-07-04 09:21:37
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version: V20
Firmware Version: 1.1.8

I have two X20 routers working in AP mode. If my device (laptop, phone, raspberry pi) is in 5Ghz network, I can only connect (either ping, ssh, or access with home assistant) devices that are in the 2.4 GHz network, not the ones in the same frequency. Vice-versa also happens. If two devices are in the same frequency, they cannot communicate with each other (for example I cannot access home assistant in my PI if it's connected in 5GHz if my laptop is also in that frequency, but as soon I change one to 2.4 GHz, i instantly can ping it).

To make it even more confusing, this is only an issue if both devices are connected to the same router. If they are in different decos, they can communicate irregardless of the frequency. In summary:

Two devices can communicate? (both connected to the same deco) 2.4GHz 5Ghz
2.4 GHz Yes No
5GHz No Yes

Two devices can communicate? (devices in different decos) 2.4GHz 5Ghz
2.4 GHz Yes Yes
5GHz Yes Yes

This issue is not making it possible for me to add all my devices to home assistant, since I can only communicate with my raspberry pi (or between any 2 devices, I've also tested with 2 laptops), since when I connect to the same deco, the devices need to be in different frequencies.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Devices cannot communicate in the same frequency and router-Solution
2024-07-04 09:21:09 - last edited 2024-07-04 09:21:37

Hello,

Upon talking with the support team, they sent me a new beta firmware version that seemed to fix the issues, all devices are now able to connect no matter the Deco they are connected to or the frequency which they're at. I'll close this ticket and open a new one in case anything happens.

Thank you so much for the quick help and support, you were able to unblock my smart home dream :)

Kind regards,

Tiago

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Devices cannot communicate in the same frequency and router
2024-06-25 04:12:17

@tigofran 

Hi

Thank you so much for taking the time to post the issue on the TP-Link community!

To better assist you, I've created a support ticket via your registered email address. The ticket ID is TKID240646156, please check your email box and ensure the support email is well received. Thanks!

Once the issue is addressed or resolved, welcome to update this topic thread with your solution to help others who may encounter the same issue as you did.

Many thanks for your great cooperation and patience!

Options
2024-06-25 16:03:01

Some further information and a correction: the first table is backwards, devices can only communicate if they are in different frequencies, not the same.

I'll test with 2 devices (laptop and pi), changing their connection through the Deco app on my phone. I have also tested pings from either of these 2 devices to other local devices and the results are the same:

IP and Gateway information:

- Laptop (both for Office and Living Room - 5GHz):

- Laptop (both for Office and Living Room - 2.4 GHz):

- Raspberry Pi (Living Room - 5GHz):

- Raspberry Pi (Living Room - 2.4 GHz):

As you can see, there are no changes in IP Address of gateway on either device regardless of the deco connected or the frequency that they're connected to.

Ping tests:

- Raspberry PI will remain in the living room, I will only adapt its frequency. I have also tested with other local devices as well as my phone, result is the same.

Different Decos (Laptop in Office and Pi in Living Room):

- Laptop (5 GHz) -> pi (5 GHz) -> PASS

- Laptop (5 GHz) -> pi (2.4 GHz) -> PASS

- Laptop (2.4 GHz) -> pi (5 GHz) -> PASS

- Laptop (2.4 GHz) -> pi (2.4 GHz) -> PASS

For devices connected to different Deco units, there is no problem, all devices can communicate in the local network regardless of the frequencies.

Same Deco (Both in Living Room, both in office is the same result):

- Laptop (5 GHz) -> pi (5 GHz) -> FAIL   (same happens with pi -> laptop)

- Laptop (5 GHz) -> pi (2.4 GHz) -> PASS

- Laptop (2.4 GHz) -> pi (5 GHz) -> PASS

- Laptop (2.4 GHz) -> pi (2.4GHz) -> FAIL   (same happens with pi -> laptop)

Hope this can help, let me know if you need anything else.

Options
2024-06-27 11:02:09

@tigofran 

Hi

Thank you very much for providing such detailed screenshots. I have forwarded your case to our senior engineer for further analysis. They will contact you via email tomorrow.

Good day.

Options
Re:Devices cannot communicate in the same frequency and router-Solution
2024-07-04 09:21:09 - last edited 2024-07-04 09:21:37

Hello,

Upon talking with the support team, they sent me a new beta firmware version that seemed to fix the issues, all devices are now able to connect no matter the Deco they are connected to or the frequency which they're at. I'll close this ticket and open a new one in case anything happens.

Thank you so much for the quick help and support, you were able to unblock my smart home dream :)

Kind regards,

Tiago

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 248

Replies: 4

Related Articles